Kolsch or Pilsner?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pjk49202

HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Here is recipe:
9 lbs German Pilsner Malt
0.5 lbs Crystal 10
1 oz Tett@60 min
1 oz Saaz@15 min
WL 029 w/o starter

Mashed @ 152 fo 60 min

90 min boil

2 week 63

2 weeks @ ~45

I haven't had a kolsch in a while but it seems as though the taste of my kolsch is more like a pilsner. Does this seem pausible? I mean I used a Kolsch yeast but when i drink it, it reminds me of a pilsner. This is based off the first pint, but it has really thrown me for a loop that it tastes more like a pilsner but all the ingredients say Kolsch. Any advice or experience w/ this yeast please chim in. Thanks in advacne.:rockin:

a true kolsch doesn't have late hop additions but if you used a kolsch yeast imo its a kolsch...

the imp. thing is...do you like it???

also. a kolsch by nature SHOULD taste like a pilsner.

Yes, I do like it. I think I may need to get a kolsch type beer and do a comparison. The first pint just really knocked for a loop as to how much it tasted like a pilsner. A really weak pilsner, but a pilsner none the less. The second pint is good too, so I maybe onto something. :)

Yes, I do like it. I think I may need to get a kolsch type beer and do a comparison. The first pint just really knocked for a loop as to how much it tasted like a pilsner. A really weak pilsner, but a pilsner none the less. The second pint is good too, so I maybe onto something. :)

Except for the yeast, both beer styles use the same ingredients, pilsner malt and German hops. As was stated earlier Kolsch is less hoppy than a German pils but the flavors in the base of the beer are similar. It is the special character of the yeast as well as the beer's subtle flavors that set a Kolsch apart.

I guess you could get into the whole Kolsch/Champagne conversation if you wanted. Anyway, if it's gpod and you like it, who cares. it doesn't have to fit into a category. I think sometimes people get so into trying to brew to category, they stop short of making something they want to drink.

When in Cologne last year I was surprised a just how bitter most of the Koslch were. To be sure there was a range. Malz Muehler was the least bitter and more in line with what I was expecting. The rest were more bitter and very pilsner like, except for the clean fruity notes. There were some where you could take a sip and still taste the lingering bitterness 10 min. later. A number were on par in terms of perceived bitterness with the std. mass produced German pils.

Not to mention the girlfriend liked it so I'm going to say this one is a winner. Seeing as I brewed it for her that's the most important thing. Perhaps next time I won't do the Saaz at the end and see what happens. :)

Latest posts

Back