Kitchen Sink Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steven_mac

Reaction score
Looking to do a 5 gal batch with this.

So I've got
-3.5lb crystal 40
-0.75lb victory
-3.3lb pale malt LME
-2oz Amarillo
-1oz warrior

Using a 4th generation house yeast (Thames Valley 1275)

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

Doesn't look like enough hops for 5 gallons, if that's all you got, scale it back to 2.5-3 gallons.

Also I wouldn't want to use all that crystal 40, so something like this:
3 gallon batch

3.3 Lbs LME
.75 lbs Victory
1.0 lb Crystal

Doesn't look like enough hops for 5 gallons, if that's all you got, scale it back to 2.5-3 gallons.

Also I wouldn't want to use all that crystal 40, so something like this:
3 gallon batch

3.3 Lbs LME
.75 lbs Victory
1.0 lb Crystal

Interesting. I was going to say, "Not enough base malt" for a 5 gallon batch. I make 3gal sizes all the time, but I've never gone through 3 oz of hops in one!

Thanks Sera, I meant to say not enough Malt and Hops.....
With that simple malt bill I figured a hoppy beer with the warrior for bittering and a late addition/dry hop of Amarillo would make it interesting.

At about 75% efficiency, you're looking at about a 1.045 OG, which isn't bad... The issue is that you have a huge percentage of your grain bill as crystal malt. If the crystal was a base malt instead, I'd say you're good to go.

If it were me, I'd give it a try. Worst case scenario is that you'll make beer.

It won't make good beer with that much crystal..... The crystal will give it a cloying sweet taste. Keep the CR40 under a pound, and add 1.5 pounds of sugar to bump the ABV up. Put your ounce of Warrior and an ounce of Amarillo in at 10 minutes before the end of the boil, and toss in the other ounce of Amarillo once the wort has cooled to about 160F, and let it sit for 15-20 minutes before cooling it on down. This should yield a decent tasting drinkable beer with lots of hop character, about 36 IBUs, and about 4.5% ABV. If you want to bump the bitterness up to 50, put the two ounces in at 15 min, if you want to get them down to BMC levels make the two hop addition at 3 min for 13 IBUs, or 5 minutes for about 20 IBUs.

Note that the sugar should in the boil for at least 30 min to help invert it........

Hold back most of that crystal for later brews, don't wreck this one with that much crystal!!

H.W.

I appreciate all the input so 3 gal recipe it will be. Actually found another oz of simco so I'll add that to the end and dry hop one oz of the Amarillo

Latest posts

Back