Kim Chi

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jackieabz

Reaction score
I opened a jar of Kim chi today that has been in my fridge for a couple of months. It was bubbling away like mad and overflowed when I opened it. I removed a small amount and pushed the vegetables back down. Then resealed it. The smell was fine. A second jar from the same batch was fine. Would anyone ha ve qany ideas why this was happening? View attachment 684750View attachment 684750 Another jar made at the same time was fine.

I opened a jar of Kim chi today that has been in my fridge for a couple of months. It was bubbling away like mad and overflowed when I opened it. I removed a small amount and pushed the vegetables back down. Then resealed it. The smell was fine. A second jar from the same batch was fine. Would anyone have any ideas why this was happening?

Attachments

• IMG_4818.jpg
    IMG_4818.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 42
Yea, still fermenting. Try using a pickle pipe on top of that jar - it's a silicone nipple that lets the pressure out without letting O2 in. I have a ton of them. Just search "pickle pipe" on amazon. You'll see. Note that some of them are meant only for the wide-mouth mason jars, so be sure to pay attention there.

Here are some with fermenting cayenne peppers

_mg_14831-67309.jpg

Thank you for that advice. I hadn't seen these before, they certainly look like the answer.

A few things I do as well as pickle pipes (did not know they were called that) - leave the lid on a little loose, or just open it up every few weeks and let the co2 out...but that does look like a pretty active ferment for the fridge! How does it taste?

Back