Killer deal for Wisconsinites

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tjpfeister

Reaction score
Stein Garden and Gifts is running their end of summer clearance event. A friend of mine told me that they had hops. I was like, yeah right. But I happened to be in the area and decided to poke my nose in. I scored these:

381089_370674063002158_1377732001_n.jpg

Labeled as "Brewer's Hops" the backs of the tags go on to explain that they are cascade hops and further explains how to harvest them for making beer. Here's the kicker: They are on clearance for $2!

These poor things have been FIGHTING for their lives all summer. Totally neglected, the vines are in poor shape. But as I re-potted eight plants this evening, I found GREAT root systems on them. I'll let these enjoy some sun and water for their final weeks and then next year, I am positive that they will yield cones.

So yeah. If you happen to be near one of these stores, not a bad deal! All things considered. What if they are not cascades? What if they are male plants? Well, small risks IMHO when your other option (typically) is to by a rhizome for $5-10 and then wait 2 years for cones.

:mug: Cheers!

(I'm a little pumped because now this makes a total of 17 plants for me, and I have an excuse to go build that little hop yard my friend said I could put on his land. I have 2 big plants now that I have been harvesting the side-shoots off of giving me a total of 2 centennial, 7 goldings, and 8 cascade) :D:D:D

Latest posts

Back