Kettle sour in Anvil Foundry

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Smitty4263

Reaction score
I am weighing all my options to sour with Omega 605 and ferment with Omega Kveik 061. Right now I am planning on co-pitching both since I am able to keep the fermentation temperature at the higher end.
I have also looked into the kettle sour path but I am not sure about temperature control during the souring process in the Foundry. Is it safe to leave the foundry on for the 2-3 days it takes to hold temperature? I brew in the garage and the temperatures here will be around 60-70 during the day when I plan on brewing.
Some recipe info:
5.5 gallons into the fermenter
9 lbs Pilsen
4 lbs Wheat
Use lactic acid to get mash PH to 4.5

Omega 605 has L. Plantarum in it which can sour at room temps. If you're worried about leaving the heat on for 2-3 days I would recommend chilling to 95F, pitching your bacteria, and letting the temp free-fall. You can wrap the foundry in a blanket or sleeping bag to help it retain heat.

I kettle sour in my BIAB set up with a 240V 5500W element and have had no issues leaving it powered on to maintain temperature. I don't think you'd have any issues doing the same with the Foundry.

Back