Kettle Fittings Problem

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CMassBrewer

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So I bought my first 10 gal kettle and it has a 3/8" threaded mpt thats welded into it and I wanted to know if there's any connections like a 3/8" fpt to 1/2" barb. Can't find any online and not sure if its because of the fluid mechanics from going smaller to larger since most fittings only going larger to smaller. The reason i want this is so I can run a 1/2" line from it into my pump. Is this a normal problem with 3/8" threads?

Should I just use a 3/8 coupler and then go 3/8 mpt to 1/2 barb?

New to all grain brewing so don't know if this is a dumb question or not. Thanks everyone.

Kinda surprised there isn't a 3/8" FPT to 1/2" barb fitting out there. You could go with a 3/8 fpt to 1/2 fpt coupler then thread in a 1/2" mpt to 1/2" barb...

Cheers!

You sure it's 3/8"? That's kinda narrow for a 10 gallon brew kettle. 1/2" is much more common.

If you're brewing only occasionally barbed connections (with clamps!) are fine, but when it becomes more frequently, I'd look into Camlocks (high flow ones are preferred) for making the connections between various equipment and hoses. 1/2" is the norm there for most homebrew stuff. There are other connection options too, but "high flow" Camlocks have been working well for me.

I also run Bobby's high flow 1/2" SS cams throughout, but being fed through a 3/8" pipe much of the point is lost at the jump...

Cheers!

Back