Kegs sat at room temp for 3 days. Am I screwed?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewVerymore

Reaction score
So I didn't notice the other day that the plug on my temp controlled freezer had been kicked loose possibly for 3-4 days. It's finished beer that I was just giving time to condition. I am cooling it back down to test later, but just wondering... Is the beer probably bad now?

Not in the least

Kegs can be at room temp for a super long time

If they're carbed and depending on the time left out, you may have to hit them with CO2 and the risk of oxiidation is higher, however theres noting to worry about

I keep all my beer at room temp after it's been in the ferment fridge for first week

It's a common misconception that beer being cold and then getting warm again causes it to taste skunky. It's actually LIGHT that skunks beer. Light reacts with hops and produces nasty tasting compounds. It happens very quickly too.

Commercial kegs are subject to far worse treatment on their way from the brewery to the distributor to the bar. Your kegs are fine.

Yur gooooooood. My pipeline is just kicking it in my beer room waiting to be tapped. I've had some at room temp for a couple months with no ill effects.

Your keg could sit for 3 MONTHS and you'd be fine. Heck, even 8 months easy. Maybe this thread is a joke.

I've got a partial keg of jalapeno amber from back in March...I won't drink it but the husband likes it...unfortunately he doesn't drink as fast as I do and there's always another keg waiting to go on. So the amber is usually sitting in the hot garage until I have room for it again. Done it twice now and the beer is still good, not oxidized, although I can't stand it (because I'm mostly Norwegian and jalapenos....uck).

I almost always have more kegs filled than will fit in my keezer so they routinely sit in our laundry room, sometimes for weeks. They often taste better than the ones that go first into the keezer but never worse.

Back