Kegs in Frigidaire keep freezing!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

canihaveurpants

Reaction score
Hello,
I have put together a 2 corny keg system in a Frigidaire 4.4 cu ft. mini fridge with inspiration gathered through this site. The model is LFPH44M4LM. I kegged my first two batches of beer and went through them with absolutely no problems. My second two batches are now in the fridge and suddenly keep freezing! I have a thermometer in a glass of water within the fridge and that too has frozen solid. The temperature for the previous keg batches held at a steady 38 degrees. I have no clue why my Frigidaire has had this sudden change of heart. Can anyone provide me with any guidance as to what may be wrong?
I can also tell you that the temperature level is turned to the absolute lowest temperature setting (just barely to the 1 notch out of 6). I see that a lot of people have this same set up so I am hoping someone may have a fix. Also, the American wheat beer I have in keg 2, which is a relatively low alcohol percentage, is freezing much quicker than the amber in the other keg.
Thank you!

It looks like your temp regulation system isn't working. Could be your temp control relay may be stuck in the on position, or you may have a problem with your thermometer probe.

Aside from troubleshooting the fridge, the easiest solution is using an external controller as the previous poster mentioned.

An external controller would be best.

But I'm guessing it's probably due to poor air circulation as I've had things start to freeze in my own refrigerator when it's super full. Plus, you said it was working fine until just recently. So you could try fitting a fan in there if you can, such as a computer fan, to improve airflow. I know my 2 kegs in my mini-fridge are also a very tight fit. Make sure the probe for the thermostat is next to or touching the freezing element as well.

The long temperature probe is currently located within the side wall of the fridge. I didn't bother adjusting it when I moved the light and dial when first setting the fridge up. Are you suggesting that sliding it out and bending it towards the top of the fridge (freezer area) could solve the issue?

The long temperature probe is currently located within the side wall of the fridge. I didn't bother adjusting it when I moved the light and dial when first setting the fridge up. Are you suggesting that sliding it out and bending it towards the top of the fridge (freezer area) could solve the issue?

Well, I have similar issues with my mini-fridge where it is colder than it should be. So I placed the probe next to the cooling lines to help prevent this.

Actually, in all of the mini-fridges I have, all of the probes have been touching the cooling lines to begin with so I didn't want to change this.

I don't know if this will fix your problem or not. Likely it's just a result of poor air circulation, I'm thinking.

If you're going to bend the probe, I'd bend it towards the bottom since cold air sinks. It would tend to make the air above a bit warmer and maybe your beers won't freeze.

Just as an update, I bent the probe upwards against the roof of the fridge yesterday afternoon and this morning the temperature is even lower, 30 degrees. I just bent the probe downwards towards the bottom so will check the temperature again when I get home from work tonight at midnight. If that move makes no difference I will just order up an external control.

Back