Kegs and Forced Carbing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MarkKF

Reaction score
I'm stepping into Kegs and Forced Carbing. The only info I'm finding is from the beer side. For Cider do you carb at room or fridge temp.? I'm not interested in quick carbing. So how long and at what psi do you all carb your ciders? After carbing to you bottle at room or fridge temp.?

Hi Mark,

I make mostly Graham's English after running sweet/dry experiments on the family. I rack into the keg, bleed the air off/put it on CO2, let it chill in the fridge for a few days, and then carb at 25 psi. I'm pretty lazy so I only agitate for 5 minutes or so and then put it back into the fridge (my gas is not connected in the fridge). I bleed off and then pour at 5 psi, pouring into growlers or a glass or three. Back to 25 psi and then back into the fridge. It's worked for me.

It doesn't matter if you carb at fridge or room temperatures- just use the proper pressure for the temperature. Here is a force carbonation chart: http://www.kegerators.com/carbonation-table.php

Just look at the chart, and you'll see that if you want 2.5 volumes of c02 at 40 degrees, you'll want the regulator set at 13 psi. No shaking or otherwise messing about- just "set it and forget it".

I actually don't love my cider carbed, but my daughter likes it at about 2.5 volumes. Some like it even spritzier- and more like 3.0 volumes more a very fizzy wine.

Thanks Yoda I mean Yooper.

How long does set it and forget it take, week - 10 days?

Thanks Yoda I mean Yooper.

How long does set it and forget it take, week - 10 days?

Yes, give or take. Try to have 1 foot of 3/16" beverage line for every psi the regulator is at, just to maintain carbonation through the pouring.

When I do soda, it's at 30 psi and I have nearly 30' of line, but for beer I can get by with 10' (12 psi or so). Whichever you go, with a higher champagne-like carbonation or a lower carb level, going longer on the lines is a good bet.

I force carb my cider to 3 volumes of co2. After i cold crash and filter the yeast, i do the set it and forget it method. takes me about 1.5 weeks to fully carb. I set the psi to what it needs to be for 3 volumes at room temp. but since i cold crashed the cider and its already cold it helps speed to process up. takes about 24 hours before the cider gets up to room temp.

Try a welding supply shop if your LHBS can't help you.

Airgas
140 Commerce Ct
Cheshire, CT 06410
(203) 272-0389

They'll be cheaper than a brew supply shop too. And I think Airgas has "beverage grade" CO2 which is a higher purity than "food grade". Not that you'd notice.

I use these guys:

Hocon Industrial Gas
30 North Plains Industrial Rd
Wallingford, CT 06492

Now I just need to find a place to fill my CO2 tank.

I really lucked out when on my way to fill my tank at a very inconvenient location on the other side of town I passed by a welding supply shop just a stones throw away from my house. Filled a 5lb tank for $17

I've found that my ciders take considerably longer than my beers to carbonate, given the same temp + pressure. Beers are ready to drink in 10 days while ciders take closer to 4 weeks. Just my personal experience.

MC

Sorry, but that does not make any sense.

Sorry, but that does not make any sense.

It's got nothing to do with "sense", but real-life application.I've had ciders that sat there and did not get carbonated for nearly a month. Mind you, I don't shake them. Just the old set-it-and-forget-it. Beers ready in 7-10 days, ciders in 4 weeks.

The composition of cider is quite different than beer... Cider is mostly water, fructose, and alcohol. Beer has much more stuff in it than cider - proteins, hop oils, etc.

MC

It's got nothing to do with "sense", but real-life application.I've had ciders that sat there and did not get carbonated for nearly a month. Mind you, I don't shake them. Just the old set-it-and-forget-it. Beers ready in 7-10 days, ciders in 4 weeks.

The composition of cider is quite different than beer... Cider is mostly water, fructose, and alcohol. Beer has much more stuff in it than cider - proteins, hop oils, etc.

MC

Yeah, i know it is but that doesn't change much the way co2 dissolves into solution. It doesnt take me any longer to carb cider than beer. This is the first time ive ever heard of it taking longer to carb cider vs beer.

your exp does not = fact.

you're prob the only person that has this problem with cider.

your exp does not = fact.

you're prob the only person that has this problem with cider.

I agree, my experience does not make it a fact, but it's been factual in my own experience. I didn't claim that it does that for everyone, mind you. I just don't know why it does this, I don't really have an explanation. This has happened in every cider that I made, and I'm on batch 10 in the last 3 years. All beers + ciders are carbonated at the same PSI. It's always a possibility that this particular regulator (it's a bank of 6) has a lower flow, but then again it would slow down the pour.

MC

I agree, my experience does not make it a fact, but it's been factual in my own experience. I didn't claim that it does that for everyone, mind you. I just don't know why it does this, I don't really have an explanation. This has happened in every cider that I made, and I'm on batch 10 in the last 3 years. All beers + ciders are carbonated at the same PSI. It's always a possibility that this particular regulator (it's a bank of 6) has a lower flow, but then again it would slow down the pour.

MC

Are you sure that its not just your perception? With beer you get more of a feeling of carbonation cause of the mouth feel. i carb my ciders to 3 volumes od co2 and you don't get the same mouth feel with cider as with a carbonated beer which i typically carb to 2.5ish volumes of c02.

Are you sure that its not just your perception? With beer you get more of a feeling of carbonation cause of the mouth feel. i carb my ciders to 3 volumes od co2 and you don't get the same mouth feel with cider as with a carbonated beer which i typically carb to 2.5ish volumes of c02.

No, because after one month or so has elapsed, the mouthfeel is what it should be. It's quite puzzling, I'll admit.

MC

Latest posts

Back