Kegland Rapt Pill floating hydrometer temperature monitor

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jwill911

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So I've had my Rapt Pill for a couple of weeks but wasn't until yesterday I was able to put it into action in my Fermzilla. Initially had a couple of head scratching moments but now it's working great and the data it reports is pretty accurate. It's supports both bluetooth and wifi, displays battery charge %, wifi signal strength, gravity and temperature.

2022-02-22.png

I bought it via AliExpress, took ~< a month to get it and paid $99 free ship. Kegland doesn't ship to the US and none of the distributors have it yet. Initally Kegland sold it for $49 then $69 but still can't get it. AliExpress was it.
So far I like it.

Yeah, there is usually about a 6 month delay between KegLand's Australia releases and new products getting sold in the US. But at least that makes Australian customers the initial guinea pigs (KegLands words, not mine =c) ).

I have to admit some of the setup behavior seems early production. I couldn't change metric to imperial c/f in the user profile, though it displays the data in the graph in fahrenheit/imperial. But I'm persistent, before retirement I was a wireless network engineer/QA. So I've seem my share of early production, but it's not all that bad once working. Although there was an unexpected delay to get accurate data initially, now it's working great

Thanks for walking point on this, @jwil911 It doesn't appear that the external antenna option (needed for "thick-walled" steel fermenters) is available yet. I'll be interested in trying this once that's in place and firm/software is updated.

I have six Tilts (black, blue, red, yellow, orange, and purple, for what it’s worth.) I’ve made a bunch of posts on this forum over the past couple of years saying how much I like them.

There’s also pretty decent support on this forum for designed-in-made-in-America products; Spike and Monster Mill, for example, get a lot of love.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have not used a Tilt. The reasons are 1) price & 2) too many comments from users about general inaccuracy.

At this point, I don't really care to track data throughout fermentation. I mostly just eyeball it, and take a reading at the beginning and the end to calculate abv.

I'm interested in feedback from Rapt users because 1) I think the price point will be lower & 2) kegland has seemed to be ahead of the curve of homebrew innovation for awhile. (Tilt is/was also innovative, but not enough value for the cost). I'm curious to see if Kegland take the same concept but do more with it. If Rapt is just Tilt in a different skin, I probably won't be interested. But it seems like Kegland has plans to do more than that. I could easily be wrong. Will see.

I come from a technical background so the ability to keep track of fermentation while it's in progress remotely interested me. The OG I measured with my hydrometer and the temperature I saw with my InkBird was ~ equal to what the rapt app reported. This is my first fermentation with the Rapt Pill but so far its pretty accurate. Kegland support via the Facebook group does state the the gravity measurements are approximate but the real story is when the change stops and FG has been achieved. So when I see the gravity level off I'll take a FG with my hydrometer. If they match I will have more confidence in the Pill. But so far I'm pretty satisfied with the performance, seems to be hitting the numbers.

Genuinely curious why you elected to get this over a Tilt, or even a is it Spiedel? I like the extra data points the Kegland is giving, and I’m a pretty big Kegland product fan but..I’ve got 2 Tilts and have been pretty happy with them.
I researched a bunch and the Pill just seemed like it had a better feature set; wifi, blue tooth, temperature, and wifi signal level tracking. Plus the Pill enclosure being smooth, dual o-rings it seals good, a common 18650 LiOn battery and Cloud IoT data storage available from any device. Check out the Kegland website and YouTube video.
https://www.kegland.com.au/rapt-pill-hydrometer-thermometer-wifi-bluetooth.html

Thanks for walking point on this, @jwil911 It doesn't appear that the external antenna option (needed for "thick-walled" steel fermenters) is available yet. I'll be interested in trying this once that's in place and firm/software is updated.
If you pressure ferment you can ruin them. I killed a Tilt Pro that way. But that was at 30psi. Also the Tilt Pro blue tooth connection was poor to none even with my phone sitting on the Sankey so I gave up on using them in it.

They are great in buckets though and it's fun to watch the gravity drop.

If you pressure ferment you can ruin them. I killed a Tilt Pro that way. But that was at 30psi. Also the Tilt Pro blue tooth connection was poor to none even with my phone sitting on the Sankey so I gave up on using them in it.

They are great in buckets though and it's fun to watch the gravity drop.

I've got a Tilt fermenting inside a Torpedo 6G corny, that is sitting inside a kegerator. I use a Raspberry Pi 0 sitting on top of the kegerator and it consistently stays connected.

The plus for Rapt over Tilt for me seems to be the onboard Wi-Fi along with Bluetooth. Did I get that right? Another plus is that they've seem to have created a cloud environment to log the data.

So I can just plop the Rapt into a fermenter using the Wi-Fi that already is at my home and not have to have another BT device sitting outside the fermenter to capture the real-time data. Or has Tilt embraced on board Wi-Fi since I last looked at them?

Though ideally, I don't understand why they don't log data to their own onboard storage and send it to me when I poll the device for information. But I guess that's another chip on the board along with more programming time to add to the cost. Apparently just to appease me alone!

I have six Tilts (black, blue, red, yellow, orange, and purple, for what it’s worth.) I’ve made a bunch of posts on this forum over the past couple of years saying how much I like them.

There’s also pretty decent support on this forum for designed-in-made-in-America products; Spike and Monster Mill, for example, get a lot of love.
I have a Monster Mill MM3, a Spike brew kettle, and Blichmann Brew Commander, so I do buy USA made. I just thought the Pill was worth buying.

I had to change from the Tilt standard to the Pro to have ANY hope of getting readings through my Spike conical fermenters. I did setup a Tilt Pi in the same area (within a few feet of where the conical fermenters reside when active). That's worked out pretty well for me. I did need to run an ethernet cable since the Pi wifi signal is not good enough to reach my router two floors above the unit (the Pi is in the basement, the router is on the second floor). That's a failing on the Pi though.

I have a monitor connected to the Pi now, so I can see what the readings are when I'm down in that area. Otherwise I just connect to the web page it has and see what's going on. Or use the cloud link and get the full history of readings.

IME, getting signals through stainless takes more power and will wear down batteries faster. I do like how the Tilt Pro uses AA (lithium) batteries instead of the 18650 type. Especially with how there are many crappy 18650 batteries out there that you can get without knowing it. Simply changing out batteries as needed is easier than connecting up to recharge them.

I MIGHT give the KegLand item a try, once it's actually coming into the US officially and not through craptastic channels. I'm not willing to wait for something to clear customs for XX weeks and HOPE that it doesn't get bounced.

Rapt pill is now widely available at Canadian retailers. Picked mine up from flhbs on Saturday. $99 CDN, so about $78 US.
charged it overnight and registered it and tested it out in some water Sunday afternoon. My fermentation fridge is in a closet, the router is at the far end of the next room over and I am able to get solid signal while in fridge with the closet door closed, so quite pleased with that.
Looking forward to being able to follow along with fermentation process with my next brew.

I got one of these a couple of weeks ago and am currently doing my first brew with it. I wanted a Tilt or ispindel for a while but tilt was to expensive and ispindel was too unless I built it myself which I just don't want to spend the time on.
I liked that this was wifi too, no bluetooth hoops to jump through. I'm eagerly waiting for the API integration with apps like brewfather.

The Pill has been great so far, so cool to have insight into how it works. I am pressure fermenting in a fermzilla at around 15psi.
One improvement I'd like to see is automatic temperature corrections. If you calibrate it at say 20 C, and then let that water cool down or heat up more than a couple of degrees, you'll see the SG reading change quite a bit. they have a link to a converter on the website, but it would be nice to have the option to show corrected SG on the chart. Hopefully in a future firmware update.

Attachments

• Rapt-pill1.JPG
    Rapt-pill1.JPG
    72.7 KB · Views: 29
Anyone else have any apparent wifi issues with the RAPT Pill?
I have two Ubiquiti access points, one in the house, and one in the garage, where the pill is. The garage one is about 15 ft from the access point. I configured the pill in the house originally, then moved it out to the garage.

I seem to be getting very infrequent updates, wondering if I am having wifi connectivity issues. For example, I brewed today, and stuck the fermenter (fermzilla) in my fermentation box (plywood under counter box with foam insulation), around 11:15pm. I got one update since then, at 11:25am. That was 9 hours ago. In my Ubiquiti admin panel, I can see the rapt pill connected to the house access point once since then, with low signal strength.
I'm wondering if the pill is for some reason binding to the original access point, rather than grabbing the one available right beside it?
Same Wifi SSID/network on both. I had both 2.4 and 5ghz enabled with the same name for both. I tried disabling 5ghz incase that was the issue, but it doesn't seem to have made a difference.

Any thoughts?

I wish I could tell you what the problem is. I haven't had any Wifi related problems. My RSSI is always in a good range, my router (Orbi) satellite is in the bathroom (better coverage on deck and backyard) and my fermenter is one room away in the garage. I have a somewhat similar network setup. Orbi main router is in living room adjacent to garage. Also using a Fermzilla. Only issues I've had are at the beginning of the fermentation it seems like the values reported are not related to reality when compared to hydrometer and InkBird, but only for the first couple of hours then all is good. I think there is some delay in reporting correct values related to the cloud service (guess).
Good luck.

I think there is some delay in reporting correct values related to the cloud service (guess).
By chance is your beer temperature still changing during these initial hours (by more than a couple degrees?), or do you pitch yeast only after you have stabilized temp? It looks like kegland doesn't have any temperature correction algorithms setup so while the density of the wort changes so do the readings, and thus they can swing in that time. My extended test with water had me throw it in the fridge and leave for several hours to make sure the recording was working through metal, so as the temp of the water dropped, I saw a corresponding drop in gravity (20f drop saw a 7 point drop in gravity). I'll have to do more brews, but I also suspect you get a weird spike around the time that the yeast start to get active and currents begin to develop in the beer.

I'm wondering if the pill is for some reason binding to the original access point, rather than grabbing the one available right beside it?
Same Wifi SSID/network on both. I had both 2.4 and 5ghz enabled with the same name for both. I tried disabling 5ghz incase that was the issue, but it doesn't seem to have made a difference.

Any thoughts?

I would bet a large amount of money that it is still tenaciously hanging on to the AP you initially connected it to and that is why you are getting super infrequent updates, and that would also likely explain why you see it's signal strength as weak. This isn't meant to be a mobile device so it wouldn't have been programmed to switch connection points. I’ve seen a lot of devices that don't seamlessly switch to the highest signal strength AP in meshed networks and it really wouldn't be a use case Kegland would be thinking about with the product. In the product troubleshooting section they list “wifi connectivity issues due to unusual network setup” as a likely cause of not getting recordings after initial setup, and suspect scenarios like yours falls under that. At your first opportunity I would pull out your pill and reregister it in the room you plan to use it with the AP it will be connecting to. Mine is about 20 ft from my router with a wall, a closet door and a fridge door between the two, and I've not had any connection issues with it.

So far, I have been happy with my first ferment. I do think I will run a calibration on it after this is finished to try to get it closer in readings to actual (it was 9f off with water test and 12f off with this ferment), but the temperature logging has been very accurate and I suspect that outside of the starting offset the fermentation track has been accurate as well. When taking the offset into account I should be almost at my finishing gravity now, so I expect to see minimal/no further changes (reading 1.016, expected fg is 1.003, so 12 pt offset would be 1.015), and of course will confirm finishing gravity with a hydrometer to verify that it kept the offset from start-to-finish. I've been increasing the heat by a degree at a time as fermentation goes on in case anyone was wondering about the gradual creep on the temp graph line.

85B4E8C2-DA7A-4075-8D68-9578AC4F7FBC.jpeg

By chance is your beer temperature still changing during these initial hours (by more than a couple degrees?), or do you pitch yeast only after you have stabilized temp? It looks like kegland doesn't have any temperature correction algorithms setup so while the density of the wort changes so do the readings, and thus they can swing in that time. My extended test with water had me throw it in the fridge and leave for several hours to make sure the recording was working through metal, so as the temp of the water dropped, I saw a corresponding drop in gravity (20f drop saw a 7 point drop in gravity). I'll have to do more brews, but I also suspect you get a weird spike around the time that the yeast start to get active and currents begin to develop in the beer.

I would bet a large amount of money that it is still tenaciously hanging on to the AP you initially connected it to and that is why you are getting super infrequent updates, and that would also likely explain why you see it's signal strength as weak. This isn't meant to be a mobile device so it wouldn't have been programmed to switch connection points. I’ve seen a lot of devices that don't seamlessly switch to the highest signal strength AP in meshed networks and it really wouldn't be a use case Kegland would be thinking about with the product. In the product troubleshooting section they list “wifi connectivity issues due to unusual network setup” as a likely cause of not getting recordings after initial setup, and suspect scenarios like yours falls under that. At your first opportunity I would pull out your pill and reregister it in the room you plan to use it with the AP it will be connecting to. Mine is about 20 ft from my router with a wall, a closet door and a fridge door between the two, and I've not had any connection issues with it.

So far, I have been happy with my first ferment. I do think I will run a calibration on it after this is finished to try to get it closer in readings to actual (it was 9f off with water test and 12f off with this ferment), but the temperature logging has been very accurate and I suspect that outside of the starting offset the fermentation track has been accurate as well. When taking the offset into account I should be almost at my finishing gravity now, so I expect to see minimal/no further changes (reading 1.016, expected fg is 1.003, so 12 pt offset would be 1.015), and of course will confirm finishing gravity with a hydrometer to verify that it kept the offset from start-to-finish. I've been increasing the heat by a degree at a time as fermentation goes on in case anyone was wondering about the gradual creep on the temp graph line.

View attachment 762998

I eventually came to the same conclusion, it was holding onto the AP it was registered on, must be binding to the MAC address of the AP.
As it was still under 24 hours into the ferment, I took the risk of opening up the fermzilla (was at about 5psi), removing the pill, disconnecting and then reconnecting it to wifi while in the garage. Sanitized it and put it back in.
I seem to be getting good reports now, and I can see it on the garage AP.
I'll send an email to kegland support requesting a change in future firmware update for this, and the temperature correction too.

I have two Ubiquiti access points, one in the house, and one in the garage, where the pill is. The garage one is about 15 ft from the access point. I configured the pill in the house originally, then moved it out to the garage.
You can't tell in the Ubiquiti controller which AP is being used? I only have one Ubiquiti AP, but I'd think you should be able to look at each AP individually to see which clients they are actively serving.

Consider too the angle the AP is to the pill. While WIFI signals aren't really directional their field of strength isn't a perfect sphere in every direction. So moving one or the other up, down and all around might help.

Have you used your phone to check WIFI signal strength in both locations? Maybe even hold your phone in a container similar to your FV as you check.

You can't tell in the Ubiquiti controller which AP is being used? I only have one Ubiquiti AP, but I'd think you should be able to look at each AP individually to see which clients they are actively serving.

Consider too the angle the AP is to the pill. While WIFI signals aren't really directional their field of strength isn't a perfect sphere in every direction. So moving one or the other up, down and all around might help.

Have you used your phone to check WIFI signal strength in both locations? Maybe even hold your phone in a container similar to your FV as you check.

Yes I can see in the Unify logs which AP it was connecting to, and the one time it did report in, it was to the house AP. Then nothing showed up in the logs for about 20 hours. So it wasn't able to see the house AP at all. The one time it had reported in the day before was probably before I moved it into the fementation box and closed the garage door. It's tough to see the pill actually connected to wifi in real time because except when it's in setup mode, it only connects to wifi for a few seconds every hour (or however many minutes you have your interval set at), and disconnects.

Wifi strength is excellent in the garage and in the fermentation box where it's located.
Since I reregistered it to the wifi, I can see it consistently connecting to the garage access point now and reporting in. So that pretty much proves the pill is holding on specifically to the AP it connects to during setup.

My extended test with water had me throw it in the fridge and leave for several hours to make sure the recording was working through metal, so as the temp of the water dropped, I saw a corresponding drop in gravity

I thought water got denser as it got colder. If the device had no corrective algorithm for temp you should have seen SG go up. The fact that it went down, to me, means it *was* correcting for temp. I think?

I thought water got denser as it got colder. If the device had no corrective algorithm for temp you should have seen SG go up. The fact that it went down, to me, means it *was* correcting for temp. I think?
the difference between 80°F and 40°F will only be 0.002 when using a real hydrometer. And that will only be 0.001 on either side of the 68°F the things are calibrated at.

I don't even assume I can read my hydrometer that closely.

Yes, good point! It would seem that they are too aggressively compensating if that's the case. If you go to a hydrometer correction calculator like Hydrometer Temperature Calculator | Brewer's Friend there should have only been a .001 adjustment for the temp change I saw, but there was instead a .007 change. Also playing around on the calculator it looks like when at room temperature and below the differences are really negligible and not even worth correcting and the big difference is really seen when higher temperatures are in play.

Last edited:
the difference between 80°F and 40°F will only be 0.002 when using a real hydrometer. And that will only be 0.001 on either side of the 68°F the things are calibrated at.

I don't even assume I can read my hydrometer that closely.
I think the pill is much more affected by temp than a normal hydrometer. When I calibrated mine in 20C water, it was reporting like 1.020 when the water got down to 15C. 0.02 is a pretty big difference.

I think the pill is much more affected by temp than a normal hydrometer. When I calibrated mine in 20C water, it was reporting like 1.020 when the water got down to 15C. 0.02 is a pretty big difference.
I'm curious to see what happens with the readings on mine when I cold crash!

Actually I take that back, maybe they implemented a firmware fix already for temperature correction. I looked back at my last brew, and this is what it looked like:
1647446627192.png

But for sure when I had first calibrated it a week or two before that brew, I saw the SG change with temperature as it sat in water.

Actually I take that back, maybe they implemented a firmware fix already for temperature correction. I looked back at my last brew, and this is what it looked like:
View attachment 763009

But for sure when I had first calibrated it a week or two before that brew, I saw the SG change with temperature as it sat in water.
On the info page for your pill on the rapt.io page, the first eight digits are the date the firmware Was released. Mine is from Feb 12th, what's the date on yours?

It's been a while since I looked around on the forums and its good to see that others have picked up the Pill and provided some feedback/experience. Mine came in a few weeks back -- it was delivered in exactly 3 weeks from the order date to NE U.S. from AliExpress (Keglands store). My brew day kept getting delayed and I didn't have a chance to finally use it until yesterday.

It's pretty straight forward to get it connected to your device and calibrate it. The software isn't very polished but it gets the job done. For lube to screw the Pill pieces together I used a dab of StarSan.

I cooled my wort down to 70 but for some reason the Pill read it at much higher. I am thinking maybe there was warm air trapped in the Pill that took time to cool down?

I set it to provide telemetry updates every 30 minutes but this does not appear to be working, it goes sometimes an hour or more. A few times it gave me an error and I was thinking I'd need to open up the fermenter to reboot it. But it eventually started working again.. so not ideal, but glad it sorted itself out.

https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/1242900/west-coast-ipa
This image was from yesterday around 3 hours after pitching. The OG reading isn't perfect. The Pill states 1.064ish, while I got a reading of ~1.057. I'm ok with that, as I only need to see when it stabilizes so I know it's done.
Screenshot_20220430-191134.pngPXL_20220430_201243167.jpg

This is from this morning, with the yeast having made some progress and the temp has also stabilized. It's cool to see the gravity starting to shift. I've always hated guessing where fermentation was at and trying to take samples for a reading as I do not have a spigot on my fermenters.

I'm not sure how much the krausen will impact the reading, but once it dissipates, I plan to shake the fermenter a bit to get the crap off of the pill -- if this doesn't work, I will be cracking the lid to dry hop before fermentation completely finishes so I will have an opportunity then.
Screenshot_20220501-114147.png 20Hours.jpg

Here's the error I sometimes get
Screenshot_20220501-123009.png

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing your initial experiences with it. Mine should arrive later this week. Seems like the firmware is still in its infancy and with time it should improve, hopefully. If you're on Facebook there's RAPT Users Group you should join that offer tips and suggestions to various issues in near real-time. I believe the developers also have a presence there as well.

I also thought the firmware was a bit raw but latest upgrades have improved immensely. Here's a ferment in the later stages and all the numbers jive with the traditional methods of measuring.

Attachments

• 2022-05-01 (2).png
    2022-05-01 (2).png
    120.7 KB · Views: 0
Back