Kegland Counterflow Chiller

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brew703

Reaction score
Anyone using? If so worth the buy?
I currently use a CUSS IC which I really like. The problem is using an electric 110v system with a boil coil just doesn't cut it. When I put the chiller in, the wort never gets back to a boil.
Looking for an inexpensive counterflow chiller that can chill 5.75 gal down fairly quicky.
With fittings I can get the Kegland for under $100.

I have one ready to ship if you want gently used. $45. I brew low oxygen so I'm getting rid of copper.

I circulated wort through it with a mkii pump to chill about 6 gallons and it makes a gentle whirlpool. It chills reasonably fast, but won't be as fast as the cuss. Definitely a good value and worth the price, in my opinion.

I have one ready to ship if you want gently used. $45. I brew low oxygen so I'm getting rid of copper.

I circulated wort through it with a mkii pump to chill about 6 gallons and it makes a gentle whirlpool. It chills reasonably fast, but won't be as fast as the cuss. Definitely a good value and worth the price, in my opinion.
Let me think about it. I'll need to figure what shipping is.
Which fittings did you use?

I went cheap and used duotight fittings to attach my quick disconnects. They work well, with Teflon tape.

I'd be happy to throw in 3 duotight fittings for free if you want, however I wasn't able to get all the Teflon tape off of the threads for some reason. It bonded to the plastic somehow? I'm not sure.

I'm not trying to pressure you. It's all good.
:mug:

I'll try and determine what shipping cost will be. Still undecided if I want to go with a counterflow chiller or just keep the CUSS since it's only a few months old.

How many watts is your electric system? I use a Digiboil with 1500 watts. I turn off the 500W element once I reach boil, and I get a slight rolling boil with just the 1000W element on. This is with 5.75 gallons pre-boil.

With about 15 minutes to go (and maybe 5.3-5.4 gallons), I turn on the 500W element again and I put in my immersion chiller. After a few minutes I have a rolling boil, and then I turn off the 500W for the last ~10 minutes of the boil.

How many watts is your electric system? I use a Digiboil with 1500 watts. I turn off the 500W element once I reach boil, and I get a slight rolling boil with just the 1000W element on. This is with 5.75 gallons pre-boil.

With about 15 minutes to go (and maybe 5.3-5.4 gallons), I turn on the 500W element again and I put in my immersion chiller. After a few minutes I have a rolling boil, and then I turn off the 500W for the last ~10 minutes of the boil.
2250 watt boil coil.
No problem getting to or maintaining a boil. Just when I add my IC at 15 min left it never returns back to a boil.
If you can get to a boil using 1500 watts after adding your IC then not sure why I cant using 2250 watts.

Back