Keging Question?good luck

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

karljrberno

Reaction score
Is it good Practice to leave your co2/PSI line hooked up to keg and at your desire PSI for the entire proses of carbonating ?

If I add psi to my keg and then disconnect it then let it stand free with no line in or out to the keg will it get to proper carbonation levels or will the beer quickly absorb the co2 then fall short of proper levels ?

it'll get absorbed, and that 12 psi you put in is now 2 psi after it gets absorbed and you unhooked. leave it connected so it can feed in co2 till it really gets up to pressure, about a week at either room temp (30 psi for a week) or chilled (38 degrees at 12 psi)

as Mister Ron Popeil says "Set it and Forget it":rockin:
I usually set mine for serving pressure, and forget about it for a few weeks. The extra time probably wont hurt you beer either;)

Is it good Practice to leave your co2/PSI line hooked up to keg and at your desire PSI for the entire proses of carbonating ?

I'd dare say it's "Best Practice". And it's what I do.

If I add psi to my keg and then disconnect it then let it stand free with no line in or out to the keg will it get to proper carbonation levels or will the beer quickly absorb the co2 then fall short of proper levels ?

The short answer would be "the latter". And so you'd have to recharge the head space lots of times to ever get to "proper carbonation".

There might be some critical combination of head space volume and insanely high pressure CO2 that could enable one shot of CO2 in the head space to bring a keg of beer to the proper carbonation level - eventually (it not only has to dissolve into the beer, it has to equalize throughout the entire volume, which takes time). I would not advise trying to determine that magical combination...

Cheers!

Back