keggle plans

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrBaloo

Reaction score
Hi all,

I admit it. My keggles are simple. Half inch ball valve and that's about it.

Before I go knocking holes and adding things, can someone discribe to me their thought process in why they put their keggle additions where they did? Where and why did you put the thermometer?, heating coil? sightglass? Thermowell? Heat exchange coil? Whirlpool thingy? Why there?

Anyway, I didn't just want to go poking holes in my kegs only to find out that they would be better someplace else.

My long term plans are to have a eHERMS BIAB 2 vessel system.

Thanks

Baloo

Hi all,

I admit it. My keggles are simple. Half inch ball valve and that's about it.

Before I go knocking holes and adding things, can someone discribe to me their thought process in why they put their keggle additions where they did? Where and why did you put the thermometer?, heating coil? sightglass? Thermowell? Heat exchange coil? Whirlpool thingy? Why there?

Anyway, I didn't just want to go poking holes in my kegs only to find out that they would be better someplace else.

My long term plans are to have a eHERMS BIAB 2 vessel system.

Thanks

Baloo

I'm sure some of the kegglers will see this but you may get better response if you re-post in the DIY forum.

I use a keggle for the boil kettle on a four vessel HERMS (HLT, MT, standalone HEX, and BK). I punched three holes, one for the pickup assembly, one for the whirlpool assembly, and one for,the sight glass. In general, you probably want everything as low as possible as this keeps things out of the way(e.g. stirring spoons).

1. The pickup tube on mine is mounted as low as possible (just above the curved part of the keggle); the higher you go, the longer your pickup tube would have to be and the more "in the way" it would be.

2. My sightglass (with integrated thermometer) is located at the same height as the pickup, but 90 degrees from the pickup tube assembly. It should be obvious, but you want it as low as possible so that you can read the volume for the majority of the vessel. I placed mine 90 degrees off the pickup because the way it sits on my brew stand, that offered the best protection from the heat wash coming off the burner and it was easily viewable.

3. I put my whirlpool assembly directly above the pickup tube assembly (about 2.5" on center if I remember correctly). The reason for this is I wanted it below the liquid level regardless of whether I was doing five or ten gallon batches. Also, I thought it was more convenient to have both hose connections on the front rather than offset.

Last edited:
Back