Keggle HLT and MLT drain orientation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

-CHRIS-

Reaction score
I am building a keggle-based eHERMS system using the electricbrewery.com design. One think that I did not like was the drain on the HLT and MLT and how far they stuck out from the kettles. Does anyone see a problem with the way that I plumbed them below? It makes the system at least 6" more compact. It seems like we are always trying to reduce flow during brew day, so the restriction of the 90 degree bend should help not hurt the overall system resistance.

Chris

Hlt%20tee%20setup.jpg

I always thought people were making sure they don't reduce flow by using non barb quick disconnects/camlocks etc?? You definitely do not want to reduce flow to your pumps. So if this is before the pump you may or may not have issues with priming/cavitation. That's the only problem I see.

The only issue I see if that is before the pumps (and I imagine it would have to be), the restriction possible could create cavitation or other problems with priming the pumps, or create problems with the impeller. I just keep remember that many many told me, "NEVER restrict the flow TO the pump!" and to restrict the flow after if needed.

Normally you want to align the straight of a Tee in the direction of your flow. So you've added some restriction, but not a ridiculous amount (maybe equivalent to up to 5' of tubing at max flow). It'll work fine, but you might be able to squeak a few extra pints per minute if you orient it with the flow going through the straight section and the probe into the center of the T.

Latest posts

Back