Keggle false bottom.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kkenney

Reaction score
Was wondering if anyone is using a 12" false bottom for a keggle. I have been using a bazooka screen for mashing in my keggle, and although it works, I loose about a half gallon of wort. Found a 12" false bottom on Craigslist and was thinking about picking it up. Not sure if it would help my situation.

I use the dome bottom that fits in a 10g cooler, with a pick up tube. A 10" maybe? The size you can use will depend on how big the top hole is on the keggle.

The hinged false bottoms are really nice, but are a bit pricey...

13 1/2" on the top of the keggle, so I guess it might work. I was worried that there would be a chance grains could get under it, since it doesn't stretch across the whole bottom.

I guess you could always throw the grain in a brew bag to keep any stray grain from getting under the false bottom.

I was using a false bottom and had a stuck sparge at least 20% of the time. I bought a 50 - 60 qt. biab bag from adventures in home brewing and put it in my 10 gallon hd cooler and it has worked great. I don't vorloff I just open the valve and let it go, no issues with grains or trub getting by and no stuck sparges.

I was using a false bottom and had a stuck sparge at least 20% of the time. I bought a 50 - 60 qt. biab bag from adventures in home brewing and put it in my 10 gallon hd cooler and it has worked great. I don't vorloff I just open the valve and let it go, no issues with grains or trub getting by and no stuck sparges.

I do the same with my 10g cooler. I never had a stuck sparge with my dome false bottom, but I wanted something easier. I use a false bottom in my keggle because I use a lot of whole cone hops, and have a pump on my system. Works out really well.

I use this bag in my cooler:

http://www.brewinabag.com/collections/frontpage/products/the-brew-bag-for-coolers

IMO, it's the toughest bag available, and a very reasonable cost. They also have keggle size too. You still need an expensive false bottom if you are direct firing though, or you will melt the bag. The owner of the website is surprisingly local to me, so I met him at his house, and ended up talking beer for over a half hour. Lol! Very nice guy, and an hbt supporter. When I need another, I'd buy from him again in a heartbeat.

:mug:

I do the same with my 10g cooler. I never had a stuck sparge with my dome false bottom, but I wanted something easier. I use a false bottom in my keggle because I use a lot of whole cone hops, and have a pump on my system. Works out really well.

I use this bag in my cooler:

http://www.brewinabag.com/collections/frontpage/products/the-brew-bag-for-coolers

IMO, it's the toughest bag available, and a very reasonable cost. They also have keggle size too. You still need an expensive false bottom if you are direct firing though, or you will melt the bag. The owner of the website is surprisingly local to me, so I met him at his house, and ended up talking beer for over a half hour. Lol! Very nice guy, and an hbt supporter. When I need another, I'd buy from him again in a heartbeat.

When you do say a 5 gallon batch in your keggle do you just add the full boil volume to the steep? Any sparge type step? What effeciency do you usually hit? Thinking this might be worth a shot for a simple brew.

When you do say a 5 gallon batch in your keggle do you just add the full boil volume to the steep? Any sparge type step? What effeciency do you usually hit? Thinking this might be worth a shot for a simple brew.

I still mash in the cooler, and I do still batch sparge. I only use the keggle for the boil.

I hear a lot more about full volume mashing with these giant bags. It makes sense. I really should try it. A full volume mash for a 4-5% beer in a 10g cooler is totally doable. You can crush the living hell out of your grain too. I still use the credit card trick to set my mill, then double crush. I've read a lot that you can basically mill to almost flour with these bags as well. Another thing I may try.

I'm pretty happy where I'm at now though. I get about 85% efficiency, but most of that I attribute to the crush. I do mill a bit finer than I used to with a false bottom in the tun.

Just for the ease of use, I'd say it's been one of my better equipment buys. The rest is a bonus...

Latest posts

Back