Keggle Element Placement

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OatStraw

Reaction score
I am planning on placing my element opposite my valve and dip tube on my keggle with the hopes that the 5500W Ripple element will bend around the dip tube.

I'm wondering though how high I need to place it, the lower the better right? Especially if I want to do some 5 gallon batches. But I've read that with the ripple elements you need to put them kind of high or can't get then screwed on. Is this something you need to worry about if you are using a weedless bulk head since the nut screws and not the element? Also should I put it on the back side of the keggle or somewhere else?

I used Bobby M's solder on tri-clover element enclosure and I put it on as low as I could. Than being said the weld-less dip tube I have/had I couldn't get any lower than the solder on tri-clover. Seeing where the element sits I don't foresee any issues doing 5g batches if you consider the 5g mark being at the lower little wump-wump :) And yes the ripple element will curve around your dip tube. Also depending on your keg you could get it lower. This keg starts to curve sooner than my boil kettle.

I forgot to mention I put my element at an angle from the very back of the kettle. I didn't want the element holder hitting the kettle next to it and I didn't want the brew stand to be 12" from the wall either.

This is my HLT but the setup is the same.

Back