Keggle: Cut Top or Bottom?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KPSquared

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I'm posting this in general just cause it sort of spans a couple of specific areas.

I've done a lot of reading on building my new electric keggle(s) but I would like to know peoples opinons on cutting the top vs cutting the bottom.

It seems that cutting off the top is the most popular option, but there are a few that have ventured into the bottom drain world and cut the bottom off and flipped the keg.

Looking for advantages and disadvantages of each.

My only concern with the bottom drain plan is how do you effetively filter the trub? I like the idea of whirlpooling and that really isn't possible with a big old hole in the center of the bottom of the keg.

For an HLT I can't see any disadvantage at all but a mash tun or boil kettle I'm not sure.

Other than that, is there any reason that a tri-clover on the bottom (the old top) wouldn't work better than a dip tube through a false bottom or just a side pickup?

I was sold on flipping the keg but I want to make sure before I start cutting.

Thoughts and opinons welcome.

For the HLT I will be doing a bottom cut adding a tap to it and flipping it.
For the boil kettle I would cut the top for the exact reason you mentioned. If you want to drain from bottom with a tap then tap it close to the side of the keg on the bottom or on the side wall and build a hop gate to keep trub minimized from passing through after the whirlpool.

This is my plan at least.

Ok, so really, this is going to be for a single vessle eBIAB setup. I'm starting to think the bottom drain will be nice for clean-in-place but still have a bulkhead with a dip tube for recirculation.

I know I don't "need" to recirc, but I'm only doing the single vessle to save space. . . I still want some fun gizmos and a pump with some hoses is just that.

Think I can recirc off the bottom drain with BIAB? Is that a bad idea with a CFC and recirc pump?

The bag will rest on a false bottom above the element and temp probe (and possible the dip tube if its necessary)

Just want to make sure I do this right the first time. . .

With BIAB you shouldn't need a drain or a recirc, but as you said you want some gadgetry so the plus is that when/if you switch to an AG setup without the bag you are halfway there.

You should be fine to do that as you stated though.

Latest posts

Back