kegging

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matthewjscott

Reaction score
I am thinking about moving to kegging. However, I do not want to spend the money on a refrigerator yet.

1. What temperature do you age the beer in a keg? (similar to bottles?)

2. How long does the beer last in a keg at that temperature?

It depends...

If you are naturally carbonating, you would prime it and store it for a few weeks @ 70

If you are force carbing it, you hook up the gas and chill it.

I like it, seems like a good way to start. Then you'll at least have the kegs, and CO2 tank if/when you get a kegerator. You could also chill the keg in a cheap craigslist fridge and put a picnic tap on it once it's done naturally carbing. Now you got me thinking :D

I got a CL fridge for $40 (can be free even at times). You can use a bucket and ice even. The bottom of the keg is where you're serving from anyways.

I got a paintball co2 tank (1/4 the size of a 5lb. tank) and have force carbed and served 4 kegs from it before refilling (which costs $3.21 with tax). There is an adapter you need in order to screw it into a regulator, but Co2 tank and adapter were $30 total. Regulator you can't beat beveragefactory.com. Get a dual gauge primary for ~$35.

So you can have the serving setup for about $100 including co2, regulator, lines, QD fittings, picnic tap.

One thing to note, even when naturally carbing some kegs don't seat/seal well without 30lbs. of pressure or so to start. Just make sure you're not losing pressure as it ages.

Back