Kegging then bottling cider question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jhespe

Reaction score
So, I bought a kegging system last year, kegged then bottled with Blichmann Beer Gun about 36 gallons of cider. (Bottling because sharing end product) Issue I have has been around CO2 volume in the bottles. My cider ended up between 1/4 to 3/4 the volume I wanted.
If you use a chart such as this:
http://www.kegerators.com/carbonation-table.php
What should I carbonate to and for how long in order to get nice fizzy cider?

Thanks

Define "nice and fizzy". It's up to you how high to go. I like mine at about 2.5 volumes (13 psi @ 40°F). Some people like them higher, like 3.0 volumes (18 psi @ 40F).

When I serve from the keg at 13 psi I get a nice fizz with a light head that fades quickly (typical of cider). When bottling from the keg you have to drop the feed pressure to about 5 psi, just enough to move the cider, else you lose a lot of carbonation in foam.

Nice and fizzy. Basically means as I would get from a commercial cider. When I was carbonating via yeast, I would add about 1/2 cup of brown sugar to 5 gallons of cider then bottle. This got me a nice and fizzy carbonated bottle. I want to try to accomplish this with kegging then bottling from the keg, as I need to share my cider. So, I have tried to follow the carbonation table above, but as I don't have refrigeration available during the process, I can't keep a constant temperature during the forced carbonation process. I assume this is what has made my end result unreliable regarding end volume. I also suspect I lose more volume than expected using the Blichmann Beer gun. I have no idea how to verify this. Perhaps I will try to get it as cold as possible before using the beer gun, I suspect that may help.
Thanks

As far as I know, you really really need to get the cider cold while carbonating. I suggest that you post a question in the bottling/kegging beer forum and mention that you can't refrigerate the keg.

I carbonate at basement temp. 55-65 deg. I usually go with 26-30 psi for a month. I soak the bottles in cold starsan solution before bottling.

I carbonate at basement temp. 55-65 deg. I usually go with 26-30 psi for a month. I soak the bottles in cold starsan solution before bottling.

Wow, ok, my cider didn't have a chance. Thanks that helps.

Back