kegging on a cornelius without co2?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Smellyglove

Reaction score
I have 60 liters done in fermentoers, not much time before I leave and I dont really want to purchase any more bottles.

Is it possible to just keg the beer without CO2 and add some sugar and just leave it there? Or do I need co2 to close the lid?

yes, you will have to dial back the amount of corn suger for the keg though. Some searching should give you the proper amount.

You still have the issue of not having CO2 to dispense from kegs, but this sounds like a solution to a short term problem?

Depends on how tight your lids fit. Mine require about 10 psi to seal. I do prime them with corn sugar, but I always seat the lids with some pressure. If they don't seal enough the yeast will eat the priming sugar and the CO2 may all just leak out.

yes, you will have to dial back the amount of corn suger for the keg though. Some searching should give you the proper amount.

You still have the issue of not having CO2 to dispense from kegs, but this sounds like a solution to a short term problem?

Yes it would be a solution to a short term problem. I have no experience with kegs. I thought the lids seal from the inside? Just like on an airplane.

I will get a co2 keg when I get back to get the beer out of there.

Depends on how tight your lids fit. Mine require about 10 psi to seal. I do prime them with corn sugar, but I always seat the lids with some pressure. If they don't seal enough the yeast will eat the priming sugar and the CO2 may all just leak out.

If this will happen. How will it affect my beers?

If this will happen. How will it affect my beers? Will it get an off flavour or is it just that it will not have any bubbles in it? If the latter is the case then I can just carbonate again when I get back with co2 or with more sugar again.

If the keg leaks and the CO2 leaves it is replaced with O2 and you run the risk of oxidized beer

Should I maybe just secondary them, to get them off the cake? They will be there for a month.

You can do that, but it might be fine to just leave them for that amount of time. Did they just finish fermenting? If it was a healthy fermentation I probably would be fine with leaving them for a month. I normally leave my beers on the yeast for a couple of weeks after the primary fermentation is finished.

You can do that, but it might be fine to just leave them for that amount of time. Did they just finish fermenting? If it was a healthy fermentation I probably would be fine with leaving them for a month. I normally leave my beers on the yeast for a couple of weeks after the primary fermentation is finished.

Two of them has been in the primary for a month, the last guy has been there for three weeks.

Sometimes I dont get a good seal when fermenting, so I turn the keg over for a few secinds let some beer leak. Once this dries it seals my kegs.
Just watch out that you have pressure release valves on the kegs.

Latest posts

Back