Kegging first batch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CADETS3

Reaction score
Hey guys, I am planning to keg my first batch this coming weekend. I already have all of the equipment etc... I'm simply looking for advice and tips on what to do or not do when I'm going to keg. For example, I have a pin lock keg and I was told I'd have to purge the tank several times a day. I'm looking for broad general information so I can keg successfully. Thanks, cheers!

If you are using an auto-siphon, make sure the tube is on really snug to the racking cane. You don't want it to let air into the line as it is siphoning. Also, make sure the siphon tube is long enough to that you can elevate your fermentation container well above the keg.

I like to hold a large hop sack over the outlet of the siphon tube to catch anything I can before it goes into the keg.

I recommend keg lube for any o-rings.

I would also suggest that, after you fill the keg and put the lid on, that you pressurize the keg, then purge it a bit to force the O2 out. That way there is no O2 in the keg, just CO2.

With your pin lock kegs, you can purge by pushing on the gas in poppet (use something blunt). Hook it up to CO2 and set about 10 lbs. Push in that poppet 4 or 5 times, waiting maybe a second in between. After thats done, you have very little if any O2 in the headspace. No need to do this again.

If you have some keg lube (one tube lasts a lifetime), use it to coat all of your o-ring seals. This will greatly reduce the chance for leaks. You may still want to pressurize up to 25 psi to assure your lid is sealed. Turn it back down after that. If you have a spray bottle and star san, you can spray around all fittings and valves to make sure you have no leaks. All it takes is one leak and you can blow through a whole 5lbr of CO2 in a couple of days.

Then you just need to figure out how to carbonate. Three options: Set and forget (easiest, invovles chilling beer and setting PSI between 9 and 13 PSI, wait 1-1.5 weeks), Quick Carbing (there are schedules here for X PSI day 1, X-Y PSI day 2, etc), or natural priming (Add about 2/3 of sugar that you would use in a bottled batch, seal it up, and let it sit at room temp for 2-2.5 weeks. May have to dump the first few quarter pints until the yeast clears out).

I have nothing to add except that every single response is spot on.. each has provided a piece of the knowledge you need, but together, they have provided everything.

Find yourself a Force Carb chart to determine the level of pressure you need for your style of beer and temperature of the fridge. That will help you as you go down this road. I just did my first keg this past weekend and it was a snap. Can't wait to do more.

I just kegged for the first time too for a New Years party.. My suggestions:

- Take the keg apart completely to clean and sanitize it before you fill it for the first time, even if it doesn't need it it is nice to get to know how it works and goes together. It is not as daunting as it sounds.

- Get the keg oring lube, it will last for a very long time and is only a couple dollars. I did not lube my orings and it may have been the source of a leak whenever I attached the picnic tap.

Thats all I've got for ya buddy, good luck.

As far as cleaning and sanitizing, I usually clean it with PBW and then hook it up to the the CO2 and run the cleaning solution through the beer line. You don't need to keep the CO2 on the whole time, just enough to be able to push the cleaning solution through. I usually open the CO2 valve a little bit to pressurize the keg then turn it off. Let the cleaning solution run a little bit and then close the tapper for about 5 minutes to let the cleaner just sit in the line. Then open it and run it a little bit more and close it again. Keep doing that until the cleaning solution is gone. Each time I start the tapper again, the cleaning solution comes out darker for a few seconds so you know its picking up stuff in the line.

Then for sanitizing, I sanitize the keg first. Put in maybe a half gallon or so. Shake it up real good and let it sit for a few minutes. Then run the sanitizing solution through the line. You might end up with a lot of foam left in the keg. Just add a little more sanitizing solution and whirl it around gently to collect the foam. Then dump it out.

Like someone else mentioned, flood the keg with CO2 prior to filling to minimize oxygenating the beer.

And if you can have a helper when you keg, it will save a ton of time. Cleaning is OK for 1 person, but racking is a pain unless you have help. I enlist SWMBO to hold the siphon tube outlet in the keg with a hop bag over the end while I manage the siphon in the fermenter. Makes like way easier.

Back