Kegging first batch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CADETS3

Reaction score
Good morning to you all,
I just recently brewed my very first all-grain batch two weeks ago. I brewed a five gallon batch of Founder's Dirty Bastard. I have an entire kegerator setup and intend of kegging this beer as my first all-grain and kegging. Anyway, I am searching for some knowledge/advice as to what to do and vice versa. Any help would be greatly appreciate.

check the kegging and bottling forum for tips. much easier (or less time consuming) than bottling.

What are you searching for specifically?

Here is my process:
When I get a new keg, I disassemble the posts with a wrench and make sure all the gaskets are in good shape and clean. I then reassemble the bits and wash kegs and lines with hot PBW, then rinse well.

I then make a full 5 gallon batch of starsan (or any no rinse sanitizer) and fill the keg. Attach the gas in and push the sanitizer our of your beer lines while purging the keg with CO2 (you can keep the sanitzer for later use).

When the keg is empty and purged, I rack my fermented beer into the keg, close the lid, and attach the gas. Hit the keg with 20-30psi to seat the lid then vent the keg a few times, then reduce the pressure to whatever psi you need to hit your desired carb level and let it sit.

The alternative approach, for faster carbonation, is to leave the pressure at ~30psi and rock the keg back and forth for a while. I tend to just leave mine in the fridge for a week or so.

Depending on how long your dispensing lines are (read about keg/pressure balancing), you can then dispense and drink. Since I leave mine undisturbed in the fridge for a while, some of the remaining yeast settles out, so I usually toss the first pint, as it contains all that settled gunk.

If you have any specific questions, ask away! :mug:

I'm just looking for general information. One question in particular though, I only have 1 five gallon keg and I ended up with almost 7 gallons of beer. I am going to have to bottle the rest if I cannot purchase a keg until then. On the other hand, I probably shouldn't even try to keg 2 gallons. Only thing is, I'll have to figure out how much priming sugar to use for the bottles. I have Beer Smith 2, would that help me with that? I haven't played with the software too much to be proficient at it.

You can easily find a priming calculator, such as Northern Brewer or Brewer's Friend, online. This way you can input your desired volumes of CO2 and at what temp you will keep the bottles. If keeping at room temp (~70F) I believe you are safe with 1 oz per gallon. To be safe and certain though, use a calculator.

For the kegging info you need to ask specifically what your concerns are, lots of variables....

As for bottling pick up some carbonation tablets, no need to estimate volume and amount of sugar, simply bottle and add a tablet to each bottle, works fine:)

Back