Kegging / Conditioning question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kjuckett1025

Reaction score
Greetings,

So my journey is near completion to my first time kegging beer! Thanks to those of you who have helped with fermentation troubles along the way. My question today revolves around conditioning of the beer.

Typically when I would bottle, I would do two weeks for the sugar priming, and then an additional two weeks to condition the beer. This would allow me to pour the beer into a glass and have it be very clear in color, with little cloudiness, as well as assist in the taste of it.

My question is how does this work with kegging? Obviously the keg utilizing the dip tube pulls beer from the bottom. Id imagine that during the " conditioning ", all the loose stuff goes to the bottom of the bottle, assisting in making the better quality beer pour.

If I go from fermentation to the keg to carbonate, do I follow the same protocol for conditioning? Should I remove the beer from the fermenter and do a second phase in the fermentation container to allow any junk particles to float to the bottom? I wouldn't think this would be a great idea, given the extra time near oxygen.

Just looking for some advice from those of you who have better experience than me! Thanks!!

Kyle

I generally cold crash for a couple day right ion my fermenter, no secondary. Then into the keg, on the gas for about two weeks to get to the bubble level that pleases me. By then most of my beers are pretty darn clear and tasty.

I do something similar. When I cold crash in the fermenter I usually add gelatin finings to help clear the beer. Then after a couple days at 32 degrees I'll keg it then put it on the gas. Normally I don't do the set-and-forget like Gunhaus does; I usually force-carbonate it overnight at 36 psi or so. I'm an impatient b*****d. :)

Last edited:
I keg and add 1.5 oz of priming sugar. Starts the carb process, and on paper the yeast should take up the o2 in the keg. After a week into the keezer and the set and forget method to finish carbing.

I kegged my 3rd batch for the first time. I didnt add any priming sugar but the issue was the beer was flat. I set the psi to recommended 8 psi (per instructions.) I did some additional research here and seen that others would increase the psi to 30-40 psi. I went home and set the CO2 psi to 30. Came out nice, carbonated with more head. Happy with my beer now!

I used to cold crash before Kegging. Now once the beer is done fermenting, I transfer to the keg. Then I set and forget it for about 10 days. This way it carbs and cold crashes at the same time. The first pour is cloudy. But then clear after that.

Back