Kegging Belgian Tripels

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Roadie

Reaction score
I'm way overdue to brew a Belgian but have questions as I keg all my brews. I have a secondary regulator which it appears I'll need to keep at about 25 psi in a 38 degree keezer with a line length of around 21'. Does this sound right? When dispensing beers that are 3-4 volumes do you get massive head as if pouring from a bottle?

Ran it through mikesoltys.com calculator, and it looks like that will get you about 3.46 volumes, which seems right and does give you 21 ft of line.

I've never dispensed at anywhere close to that pressure/volume. Do you get a glass full of foam?

Couldn't you put in some of those plastic epoxy stirrers to keep your line length down?

I don't care about line length so much as what is going to come out of the faucet. I have an 8 tap keezer and have 10' lines on each of the taps now. I roll the line up and drop it between the kegs or along the ends.

you can also turn the serving pressure down when pouring and then turn it back up overnight so the carb level stays up. This is how I bottle stuff from my keg using a beer gun. I can get it with like 3% foam. Its able to fill the bottle further up than a bottle wand

I've never dispensed at anywhere close to that pressure/volume. Do you get a glass full of foam?

You could get a glass of foam if the line isn't long enough. If you want 3.5 volumes and your temperature is 38°F, then you need 22 psi to serve and a 19.02 ft line length (3/16 beer line). If you tried serving at that pressure with just 10 ft lines, you would have a glass full of foam. If you liked the beer a little warmer, (Belgians are good a little warmer) at 45°F, you'd need almost 27 psi for 3.5 volumes and 23.47 ft of beer line.

Again, turning pressure down to serve is not the proper fix for balancing your system, it's a work around.

Back