Kegging a Belgian Wit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HawkATP

Reaction score
I'm going to be kegging my first Belgian Wit next week. I know on the bottles you are supposed to rock them and mix up the yeast with the beer when you pour it out. How does that work with a keg?

Well, you can gently rock the keg; but I find that stirs up way too much sediment and yeast for a pour. I usually just let it be; if it’s been sitting for a while (which never happens) then I might give it a slight / very-gentle stir. I’ve “slightly” moved a hefe keg while disconnecting a gas post and it was way too yeasty for 3 hours. Gently rock it a bit, take a pour and see how you like it.

Well, you can gently rock the keg; but I find that stirs up way too much sediment and yeast for a pour. I usually just let it be; if it’s been sitting for a while (which never happens) then I might give it a slight / very-gentle stir. I’ve “slightly” moved a hefe keg while disconnecting a gas post and it was way too yeasty for 3 hours. Gently rock it a bit, take a pour and see how you like it.

I have had the same problem with the beer becoming too clear over a period. If you are using a true Belgian yeast then like discooby says just give it a quick jarring nothing too violent. Remember in a keg you will have a lot more yeast collecting in the bottom (about 45-50 bottles worth!) and since your diptube is right on the bottom a slight movement will disturb the less flocculent yeast resulting in a pour that provides a glass full of it.

I am brewing 10 gallons of Wit Wednesday, made one starter Sunday night and have a second starter on the stir-plate now, and I was pondering the same issue earlier today. OP has a good question.

WLP400 is magical!:mug:

Wow, I keep hearing wlp400 is magical… AND I’m looking for a good Belgium wit recipe… maybe orangy in flavor… Okay, I’m sold. Whatever recipe I find/use, I’m going for WLP400!

I'm fermenting 10 gallons in a sanke right now with WLP400. I was worried about head space, but the bung hasn't popped out yet, and I had activity within one hour of adding the starter to the fermenter. It's still bubbling along. I used 9 lbs raw wheat 9lbs 2-row, 2oz of coriander and 2 oz bitter orange peel, 60 minute hop cascade of 1.6 oz. 75% efficiency. I think that recipe was based on the blue balls clone on here.

Latest posts

Back