Kegger newbie

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pattim

Reaction score
I just bought a couple of cheap 3 gallon kegs for force-carbonization (they will fit in my fridge). On the top of the keg it says, "DO NOT EXCEED 60 PSI" - which makes perfect sense, but it also says, "DO NOT REMOVE LID" - which does not - maybe they mean "don't remove lid while under pressure?" You must remove the lid to clean it and add every new batch! OTOH, I might be missing something critical... :confused: So I thought I would ask...

Thanks,
Patricia

Mine warn about the lid under pressure, which is nearly impossible with my kegs as the lid seals from the inside and I don't think I could possibly open them under pressure.

Thanks - how do you clean these things? A long brush would be OK for all but the dip tube. A long soak in dilute bleach before a power rinse?

TIA
EDIT: Found a couple of youtube videos .... :)
This guy says Oxyclean works well, but National Chemical Keg Beer Line Cleaner gets better reviews

Last edited by a moderator:
pattim said:
Thanks - how do you clean these things? A long brush would be OK for all but the dip tube. A long soak in dilute bleach before a power rinse?

TIA

Bleach or chlorine can corrode stainless, so best to avoid.

PBW or oxi clean to clean, then star San to sanitize would be my choice.

I clean mine each time they are emptied. A 30 minute (or sometimes 2 or 3 hours if I get distracted) soak with warm water and PBW (avoid chlorine) with all the fittings and lid inside. I have found that if I put the top of the dip tube into the little depression in the center of the bottom of the keg, I can get it all the way in. I clean mine within a day of them being emptied, so I really don't find that I need to scrub them at all. Every few cleanings I do runa abrush down the dip tubes. I put the keg back together and I rinse 3 times with hot water. Then I put a couple of cups of StarSan inside, give it a good swirl and dump it out. I put the keg upside down for a little while, put the lid back on and pressurized the keg to about 5 lbs. That seals it nicely and I'm then sure it's ready to refill. I have 16 kegs, so in order to know which ones are ready, I store the clean kegs upside down - a quick glance at the empties and I know how much beer I can brew!

To add to your earlier comment, you can buy a long brush (called a dip tube brush) that is big enough to get all the way through the liquid dip tube. It's also a good idea to take off the posts, poppets, etc. and make sure everything is in order, especially for a used keg. And make sure you have extra o-rings on hand!

Latest posts

Back