Kegged IPA sucked up hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HH60gunner

Reaction score
I kegged my IPA last night and I'm afraid I sucked up quite a bit of hop particles from my whole leaf dry hopping. Anything I should be worried about? Besides the possibility for a stuck dip tube? Any chance that after the first few beers are poured that it'll start to clear out? Or should I just tout it as being so fresh it still has the hops in the glass.... lol

this happened to me the first time I kegged 2 months ago. I have alot of hops left in an it clogged daily. I just uses the co2 to unclog it just hooked the co2 Line up to the out line with the regulator cranked up to 30psi this would push the clog out so I could at least pour a few beers.

it was a PITA now I strain everything twice secondary to racking bucket and racking bucket to keg.

Next time you transfer beer to a keg that you dry hopped use a 1 gallon paint strainer bag over the inlet on your autosiphon. This will prevent you from sucking up hop particles into the keg.

i use a 3/8" stainless braid zip tied to the end of my auto siphon. garnered this idea after a few of the "looks" id get when someone ended up with a hop leaf in their glass.

also, as im siphoning, instead of just letting the auto rest on the bottom, i lower it just below fluid level. it keeps from getting trub/gunk whatever into your siphon. takes a bit more attention but is definitely worth the effort.

Back