Kegerator wont get cold anymore

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Goyagon

Reaction score
I kept my kegerator outside while I wasn't using it and now the refridgerator won't get cold enough to server beer. I'm in socal and it only seems to be able to get temps slightly below whatever the weather is. It used to be able to go way below freezing. There is a small part that freezes on the back but that's about it.
I'm not sure whats wrong with it I'm thinking either a leak in coolant or a broken thermostat or possibly a bad seal but it seems to be sealing fine. I did find a small amount of liquid inside the kegerator that wasn't water, but I'm not sure it's coolant either since it should evaporate in normal pressure I can hear a gurgling when its on from the coolant but that noise was always there even when I worked.

If anyone knows how to check whats broken or how to fix it plz post it. It's a sanyo model and it has a chilling plate inside.

I just went through the same thing.Testing your thermostat is the easy quick check.Thermostat is behind the temp control knob.Pull out thermostat,disconnect.Connect the two wires that went to the themostat This will keep the compressor running continually.Shut door,run fridge for 1/2 hour or so.If the fridge gets colder and colder themostate is shot.(cheap fix)If not, other issues probably cheaper to get another fridge. UNPLUG FRIDGE BEFORE STARTING

When I was trying to figure out mine I thought I read If only part of the unit freezes your low on Freon.If so it will probably be cheaper to get another fridge.Test the themostat anyway.That was my problem $45 fix.

The refrigerant will evaporate but it could have been the oil that also circulates with the refrigerant.

Are thermostats interchangeable between different models, or do I need to god my exact part.

I had a mini fridge with a dead thermostat and I just replaced it with an STC 1000. It was a cheaper alternative to the $50 factory thermostat. Plus, I can adjust the temperature digitally now. Albeit, it's in Celsius.

Back