Kegerator Taps

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cgrivois

Reaction score
Looking at going from a keezer using picknick taps to a kegerator and taps in the door. Looks like there are many options as far as taps go, what do you recomend? Make model, hardware?

Need at least 4.4 Cu Ft. See if you can find one with removable door storage so you don't have to cut the door. Also make sure you don't have a lot of stuff you'd have to cut away on the inside, i.e. shelf supports. etc. You can't get away from the "hump" in the back as that's where the compressor is, but you can get one that's big enough that you have room for a couple kegs. Maybe make a couple cardboard templates of the bottom of your kegs and see if you can fit a couple in whatever display models you find.

Perlick is the go-to brand, and pay a bit extra for the SS taps over the chrome.

Yes, it will be more expensive than the bargain taps, but imho it's worth it.

why not just convert your chest freezer? If it's still working...

Not sure what you can put inside it right now but I would think your going to lose space.
Just a thought, I'm sure you have your reasons.

I think Perlick is a popular brand, I don't have them cuz at the time they were too much money for me to spend trying to keep my keezer build on the cheap. sooner or later I will start upgrading things.

Really too many online places to give you a "where" type of suggestion and prices very a lot.

I just have the kegco chrome ones due to budget restraints and they've worked fine as long as I keep them clean- which you should do anyway. I'll save the perlicks upgrade for a good father's day or xmas gift.
If you need a "where" homebrewing.org has pretty good prices. Morebeer.com has free shipping on a lot of things if you spend over $60.

why not just convert your chest freezer? If it's still working...

Not sure what you can put inside it right now but I would think your going to lose space.
Just a thought, I'm sure you have your reasons.

I think Perlick is a popular brand, I don't have them cuz at the time they were too much money for me to spend trying to keep my keezer build on the cheap. sooner or later I will start upgrading things.

Really too many online places to give you a "where" type of suggestion and prices very a lot.

I can only fit three corneys in my chest freezer, and would like to be able to add on later. Im pretty sure I will be able to fit at least four corneys in my fridge, which is curently my ferm chamber. I also think it would be easier to turn the fridge into a kegerator than it would the chest freezer.

I have a set of 5 perlick chrome 525's but have yet to really use them but they already feel so much better than the bargain ones I had before. The bargain ones freeze up and take a lot of torque to unstick.

Ritebrew has them right now for $18 each.

Ok Perlick it is. Im leaning towards the stainless, but whats the downside to chrome. Kegerator will be sitting in my garage.

Perlicks are the way to go, but if you get the ones with the creamer option, expect that you'll have some people that have no idea how to use it.

I just bought 2 Perlick 630SS/Stainless Steel Shank combos from Beverage Factory (on sale right now for $56.95 each), plus they give you a $10 off promo code if you sign up for their newsletter. Shipped (to the other side of the country) the total was about $118. Not the cheapest for stainless options, but definitely the cheapest for stainless Perlick options considering everything in the kit.

I priced out a pair of basic stainless faucets and shanks with all the hardware from homebrewstuff and that ended up being about $90 total shipped for me, and that seemed to be about the cheapest I could find. I priced out the same from RiteBrew, they have some pretty good deals on shanks, but when all was said and done it was about the same as homebrewstuff.

If you've got some time to keep an eye out for deals, check out homebrewfinds and set up a watch list on ebay. I bought a pair of old chrome plated brass faucets with shanks and handles from ebay two years ago for about $30, though they were pretty scuzzy and needed some replacement parts and seals that I picked up from CHI company. I don't trust the bare copper and brass on the inside of them anymore, especially since I'm using them for soda. That's the problem with chrome plated, it eventually wears away and there's really only one place that it's ending up.

Ok Perlick it is. Im leaning towards the stainless, but whats the downside to chrome. Kegerator will be sitting in my garage.

I have chrome Perlicks with stainless shanks - I could not find a reason to spend the extra money.

I got mine from keg connection with lines and manifold already assembled. Was about the best deal I found around Xmas.

Latest posts

Back