Kegerator on a crowded outlet

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kenyabob

Reaction score
I have a new kegerator on a Johnson thermostat that I recently put in. It's my first kegerator. However, the nearest outlet is already being used by a washing machine and a tankless water heater.

Would it be safe to get a grounded splitter for the kegerator and the washing machine to share, seeing at the washing machine is off 95 percent of the time, or am I just asking for trouble?

your tankless doesn't use much either.. my tankless is on a apc for when the power goes out so we can still have hot water.. I get about 2hrs and most of that is the controller remote :)

See how many amps your washing machine, kegerator and water heater use all together. There is a good chance they will all be on at the same time at some point. If the total amps is less than what the circuit is rated for you should be ok.

More than blowing the circuit, which is not my goal certainly, I just want to make sure that using the splitter does not put in me in danger of some electrical fire. My thoughts drift to the christmas light setup in a christmas story

As long as the splitter has large enough gauge wiring to support both items at full amp draw it will be fine.

Hi

None of your loads pull a lot of power *on average*. Depending on exactly what you have (whole house tankless vs single faucet tankless, compact washer vs biggest thing on the block) they may pull quite a bit at max current draw. Check out the nameplates on each of them. The max amps will be listed. Sum them up and compare to the rating on the breaker feeding the socket. It wouldn't be the first time somebody discovers they are already a bit over the max ....

Bob

Latest posts

Back