Kegerator Handle Help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DubBrew

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm working on my kegerator today and I'm trying to install a new handle on the fridge to connect the fridge door with the freezer door. I'd like to use this branch I have as a handle, but I'm not sure how to attach it. I don't really want to drill all the way through the door because the seal is right behind where I want it. Anyone else done something like this or have any suggestions? :mug:

20131208_114129.jpg

20131208_114142.jpg

20131208_114156.jpg

If you're careful, I doubt you'll hit the seal.
What about: Putting the handle on the edge of the doors, versus the face of the doors?
You could also clean some paint off a couple of spots on the doors, and epoxy the handle on.
Me, I would put it on with screws, however you would need to "through bolt" it, as the thin skin of the door won' hold a sheet metal screw.....For long.......
It would take some disassembly of the fridge interior to do it right, where you could put a washer and a nut behind the plastic lining, then re-install the same.

Edit:
You could do it with "rivnuts", anchored in the door skin, and then through bolts through your handle.

Something like these:http://www.grainger.com/search/rive...redirect=rivet+nut&perPage=16&requestedPage=2

They sell the same system type thing at Home Depot, I just could not find them on their site, as they don't recognize "rivnut" or "blind nut".

You need a Pop-Rivet tool to install them.

And go easy on the drill, when drilling the skin..........Don't let it "slam through" the skin, and bottom out on the chuck, or it will look nasty inside!

Thanks for the input, those are some good ideas. Epoxy sounds like the easiest, but I'll have to see how that would look. I gave some thought to bolting it through but I was hoping to avoid that. I'll post what I go with.

Cool!
Just remember, if you use the rivnuts, and the handle is ever removed for any reason, you can plug the holes with some shorter screws or bolts.

Pull the epoxy off, and you'll be doing touch up painting / color matching.

This is what I came up with when I decided to change the door handle on the garage beer fridge.

If you look closely you can see the steel bracket which I fabricated to match up with the original mounting points on the door and to accommodate the new handle. I used 1/2" square tubing for the upright and welded a short bit of flat bar to the top to form the right angle. This has been a trouble free installation for the past 4 years.

BFfront.jpg

This is what I came up with when I decided to change the door handle on the garage beer fridge.

If you look closely you can see the steel bracket which I fabricated to match up with the original mounting points on the door and to accommodate the new handle. I used 1/2" square tubing for the upright and welded a short bit of flat bar to the top to form the right angle. This has been a trouble free installation for the past 4 years.

View attachment 165804

Is that "magnetic field conditioning" going on there, that I've read so much about? :mug:

Very interesting. Never would have thought of something like that.

Back