kegerator / fridge in southern garage

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ronjonacron

Reaction score
I understand that this ill have a range of answers, but thats what im hoping to gain. I just picked up an already converted fridge to kegerator with a tap and its going in the garage.

My question is how much should i expect my power bill to increase? I live in florida and its not a super duper energy saver style or anything.

Again im hoping for some other southern brewers as our summer temps are usually in the 90s.

Im beyond stoked to finally have use for my cornies, but i dont want to choke when i get my electricity bill, or SWMBO to kill me when she gets it.

I live in NC and have a converted fridge with 2 taps in the garage. The fridge is about 20yrs old. I don't know what the different in my bill is but it's not really enough to notice.

Just like having another fridge. It shouldn't be noticeable unless the door's always open or you're changing out kegs pretty often. I'd guess less than $5 /month.
My keezer is on my screen porch and I haven't noticed the difference. Of course, my A/C is running like mad and I do notice that on the bill!!

I live in Alabama and, I keep my keezer on a outside covered porch. I have not noticed any real increase in my power bill.

Awesome, thanks for the reassurnace guys. I expect this to have an impact, but with what you guys have said, im assuming it will be minimal, this thing is running pretty constantly and the tap feels cool/cold, so i know its not insulated too well. Its a huge mini fridge at like 5 feet tall with a freezer box on top as the cooling mechanism. Maybe i can throw some half inch insulation on the top and sides to help it out a bit.

Ill go take a couple pictures.

Not the prettiest in the world, but for $40 i couldnt pass it up. I could use some work on the gaskets and maybe a layer of rustoleum or something.

I test fit 2 cornies and the co2 inside, although ill have to picnic tap on until i get a second tap.

ForumRunner_20130820_144708.jpg

ForumRunner_20130820_144729.jpg

ForumRunner_20130820_144747.jpg

Back