Kegerator for motorhome

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

walte1fr

Reaction score
I’m trying to come up with a plan to take my homebrewing camping. I have a compartment under the motorhome that is 24” tall and 36” wise and about 24” deep. I can get the low profile 5 gallon ball locks to fit in there. My problem is. I am trying to come up with a plan for a jockey box or to cool the whole compartment and run a tap out of it. Has anyone done anything like this? Any ideas?

A jockey box is the simplest solution; it suffers from the problem of needing ice.

Unless that compartment is well-insulated, trying to cool the whole compartment will be near impossible.

I like the idea of a 5 gallon keg in a motor home but haven’t been able to think up a cost effective way to refrigerate it. Could you change the pick up tube and lay the keg on its side? It wouldn’t have to be fully horizontal. Elevate the top maybe 8”. Then it would fit in a large cooler. You would have to drain some water and add a bag of ice every couple of days. Then you have the beer line running to the kitchen that you will have to cool. My dad used to say, “where there’s a will there’s a way”.

Just throwing out a thought.

Anyone remember the Hamm’s Tapper? We called them pony kegs. They held 2 1/4 gallons and had a co2 cartridge built inn. They would fit in a motorhome refrigerator. You can find them on eBay. I don’t know if there is a way to recharge the co2 cartridge though.

D7EBFBCC-420D-4A16-93CE-B2947EB33625.jpeg

Is there electronic jockey boxes?

I doubt it - it takes a massive amount of "cold" to chill warm beer on the fly, I don't think any conventional refrigerant-driven solution exists - particularly at a reasonable price. So you either need an ice water bath, or chill the whole keg.

There are Peltier-driven large plastic coolers, perhaps you could find one that would hold a shorty keg and fit inside your under-floor compartment...

Cheers!

Thinking of putting a tub in this fill it with liquid and running this as a jockey box

Attachments

• E9B0C97D-3F4F-462C-BA29-0530F250E1B1.png
    E9B0C97D-3F4F-462C-BA29-0530F250E1B1.png
    603.8 KB · Views: 141
Yeah I have something similar to that but it has a trigger on it. I do get quite a bit of foaming

Took me one evening to put together a kegerator for my motor coach after finding a very unique cooling kit designed for sailboats that is rugged and will run in corrosive and non level environments.

This little unit can be put into the side of any yeti type cooler on the market that meets your width and height needs and make a really good kegerator. I have a 46 foot Newel motorcoach with a 29 inch restriction on the height of the storage bays and I wanted to put a 1/6 keg unde the coach standing vertically. Found a good ice chest on amazon that just fit a 1/6 keg with a low profile tap on the top.

I bought all the other supplies off amazon, stainless steel parts, intertap dispenser, drip tray etc and put it all together and I have a very nice 12 volt/120 volt kegerator that is very small in size and fits under my motorcoach vertically and will chill the beer to 32 degrees if I want. The battery usage is very small. Takes about 10 days to discharge half of a normal 12 volt deep cell battery but this is not a problem for a coach with (6) 8D truck batteries. ( more than 60 days). Compressor is super energy efficient and runs less than 5 minutes every couple hours to keep the keg chilled. The cooler used is already super insulated and designed to hold ice for 5 days. This type of compressor recirculates cold air with a built in fan so not like a cooling plate system that is slower to cool down the contents. Since there is not cooling plate to install this unit just slips right into the back of any cooler by cutting one hole and screwing it into the wall of the cooler.

This is not a small budget item to build but it is very unique and very portable and can take any where. The compressor is very small and light weight. Approximately $700 for the cooling kit $150 for the two way power conversion box to go with the compressor unit and $200 for the cooler.

The items listed below were the major items purchased. The other items used are the usual items you use for making a kegerator.

Outsunny 64 Quart Heavy Duty Roto-Molded Cooler / Ice Box

https://www.defender.com/product.jsp?id=323775

Dometic CS-NC-15 CoolMatic Cooling Kit

Dallas, I would love to see some pics of how your setup came together or get more details on how you put everything together.

Took me one evening to put together a kegerator for my motor coach after finding a very unique cooling kit designed for sailboats that is rugged and will run in corrosive and non level environments.

This little unit can be put into the side of any yeti type cooler on the market that meets your width and height needs and make a really good kegerator. I have a 46 foot Newel motorcoach with a 29 inch restriction on the height of the storage bays and I wanted to put a 1/6 keg unde the coach standing vertically. Found a good ice chest on amazon that just fit a 1/6 keg with a low profile tap on the top.

I bought all the other supplies off amazon, stainless steel parts, intertap dispenser, drip tray etc and put it all together and I have a very nice 12 volt/120 volt kegerator that is very small in size and fits under my motorcoach vertically and will chill the beer to 32 degrees if I want. The battery usage is very small. Takes about 10 days to discharge half of a normal 12 volt deep cell battery but this is not a problem for a coach with (6) 8D truck batteries. ( more than 60 days). Compressor is super energy efficient and runs less than 5 minutes every couple hours to keep the keg chilled. The cooler used is already super insulated and designed to hold ice for 5 days. This type of compressor recirculates cold air with a built in fan so not like a cooling plate system that is slower to cool down the contents. Since there is not cooling plate to install this unit just slips right into the back of any cooler by cutting one hole and screwing it into the wall of the cooler.

This is not a small budget item to build but it is very unique and very portable and can take any where. The compressor is very small and light weight. Approximately $700 for the cooling kit $150 for the two way power conversion box to go with the compressor unit and $200 for the cooler.

The items listed below were the major items purchased. The other items used are the usual items you use for making a kegerator.

Outsunny 64 Quart Heavy Duty Roto-Molded Cooler / Ice Box

https://www.defender.com/product.jsp?id=323775

Dometic CS-NC-15 CoolMatic Cooling Kit

Back