Keg spunding & or dispensing without tank CO2

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gtg644w

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Any experience in keg or fermenter spunding and never using CO2 for distribution? I have had a few batches that got a lot less fresh after force carb or keeping on tap for some time. I think this is due to oxygen ingress.

I have some 10 liter beer kegs to use for this.

I am OK with Potentially over carbing on purpose and pouring into pitchers before serving to lessen CO2 bite.

Oxygen ingress after packaging aside, I see many advantages about keeping a closed system cold handling process without need for a CO2 tank.

Thanks,

David

There are many threads now about pressure ferments in keg and closed transfers, which don't need bottled CO2. The only way I can think of to dispense with ferment CO2 as well is to pressurise a spare keg from the pressure ferment of a beer that's being brewed, and use the pressurised CO2 to push out the beer being served. Alternatively, ferment in Keg A and B (spund under pressure), use CO2 from ferment to purge Keg C. Transfer from Keg A and B to Keg C (serving Keg) and use CO2 from Kegs A and B for dispensing Keg A. You need spare kegs though.

You won't be able to serve in a traditional manner a keg of beer without it going completely flat long before it's anywhere near empty. The only way to completely empty a keg without CO2 is by gravity, but in that case oxygen ingress will be humongous in comparison to what little oxygen you might unwillingly push in with your CO2.
If you're willing to pay the additional cost of non-reusable vessels you might want to look at keykegs or similar systems that use a plastic bladder to hold beer and any source of pressure, which could even be an air compressor, to squeeze said bladder thus pushing beer out.

Back