Keg Pressure test question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Axilla

Reaction score
I recently got my keg setup going again after a long hiatus. Unfortunately, I jumped the gun and failed to pressure test my keg before I put beer in it. I also did not use keg lube.

Long story short, I wake up to an empty CO2 tank and no pressure in the keg. I also had to leave for 3 days :(. I got a new tank today and keg lube and some spare seals. Everything is ready to test at least....and now my question.

There is beer in the keg at 40 degrees, and I want to test the keg itself (nothing attached). I have put it around 30 psi and detached the gas. Is there any chance that the beer would absorb all the c02 to a point where I would not hear gas escape when opening the relief valve or will it's equilibrium with the headspace in the keg always be positive? I just don't want to mistake carbonation causing loss of head pressure for a leak.

why not pressurize the keg then use soapy water to check for leaks?

The pressure will definitely drop as enough of the gas is absorbed by the beer to reach equilibrium with the remaining head space pressure. If you're thinking of charging the keg, letting it sit for some time, then checking the pressure, it will be lower - and what will you have learned?

Soft core: spray everything on top of the keg with soapy water or a standard Star San mix and look for bubbles.

Hard core: Grab a roll of duct tape, use it to build a water tight collar extending above the top of the posts, and fill the resulting "bowl" with water. If there's a leak, you'll find it...

Cheers!

I did spray with star san and didnt see any bubbles. I think the keg lube is the fix....

Latest posts

Back