Keg pressure, carbing, and foam

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

j33p4x4

Reaction score
This is my first batch I've kegged and I thought I had it right, but now that I'm halfway through the keg I'm getting really foamy beer. I had everything carb'd up nicely after a week at around 12 psi. and then I went and messed it up. I was cleaning up in the garage and had, for floorspace and other reasons, ended up moving my CO2 tank from outside the keezer to inside the keezer. Now 5th grade physics teaches us that gases change pressure when the temperature changes, but I laughed at physics and figured the regulator would keep everything straight. The next day my pour was almost all foam that settled to just under half a glass, I checked and the regulator was reading almost 23 psi. I disconnected the gas, pulled the release valve on the keg and drained it a few times over the next few hours. Today, with the gas still disconnected I pulled a glass and it looked like everything was back to normal - a little low on the pressure, but I was back to what seemed like a good carb level and no excessive foam. Fat and happy, I adjusted the regulator back down to 12 psi and connected it back to the keg. Within thirty minutes my next pull was again all foam.

I was hoping that I had degassed the keg/beer enough and would be down to a low carb level that I'd have to wait for it to absorb more CO2 in the next day or so, but it seems like its overcarb'd again. I'm at a complete loss and not sure if I should degass again, give it more time to settle out (could it really have absorbed that much gas in 30 mins?!), or just drink it as fast as possible because the keg is mad at me and wants to be empty :drunk:

Any ideas or experience that could help me out would be much appreciated.
:mug:

I don't thing moving the tank around would have affected anything, other than the guage maybe reading more accurate when outside the keezer. Not sure about 10lbs different though. Couldnt find the thread but have heard/saw that in here somewhere.

My lines are pretty short and I'm using the picnic tap that came with the setup :eek: Longer lines are on the list for the LHBS this weekend. I'm hoping that is the case, I just thougth it odd the first half of the keg didn't have the issue.

The reason the first half was OK was that it wasn't fully carbed at 12psi for only a week. It was probably about 3/4 of the way there. Put about 8' of 3/16" line on there and if it still foams, hold the tap and glass up at eye level when pouring.

Regulators do change pressure between ambient temps and fridge temps because the spring expands and contracts against the diaphragm.

This is how i force carb:
*Chill keg over night.. Colder the better. But dont freeze. +/- 1-3degc
*connect co2 and set for 300psi/kpa abd shake the **** out of keg or roll on ground for a few min until co2 slows down going into keg.
*rack in fridge at normal temp for a min of 6hrs.
*drink. If getting heady foam. Beer is too carbed.. Burp and leave to 'go a bit flat'. taste regulary and keep burping if still too carbed..
*i have found each system is different due to line length and diameter.. Find a pressure that suits u. I run between 8-10psi. Turn on tap and increase slowly untill u like what u getting.
***check for air leaks in beer line! that increases froth as well****

GOOD LUCK!

Thanks for the pointers. It's going to be rough having to make and drink more beer to keep working on this until I get it right. :D

Release CO2 to much lower level and drink until it starts to level out, then turn it back up.....drink beer, what a great solution for fixing an issue!
It you are carbonating to 10 to 12 PSI than your beer lines should be 3/16ID x 9/16 beer line and 5' long for proper restriction. There are three causes of foam (that was drilled in when I took a three day draft beer class)
1. Temperature of beer (should be 36 to 38 degrees)
2. Carbonation level of beer (self explanatory)
3. Restriction on beer (depends on many factors, but rule of thumb is 5' standard 3/16" beer line at lower carbonation levels (10 to 12PSI)
One other reason can be a pinch in the line or place that is letting air in, causing a swirling effect on the beer.

Longer beer lines can help when you beer is too warm or your beer is over carbonated, but keep in mind that you are compensating for another issue.

Colder temperatures (30 to 35 degrees) can also help, but can cause CO2 to be released at a higher rate in your stomach vs glass and this gas must be released by other means that can cause bloating possibly annoy those around you.

Latest posts

Back