Keg Post Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Airborneguy

Retired and Brewing
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm going to start paying far more attention to my kegs than I have in the past. I am standardizing the keg posts across my collection, and dismantling them after every use instead of once or twice per year.

What do you guys use on the post threads? Pipe Dope? Tape? Something else? I have both and am leaning towards the pipe dope. The one I have is food safe.

The keg posts shouldn't need anything other than the o-rings. If there's still a leak after replacing o-rings, then they're either the wrong o-rings or they may have been damaged by overtightening.

The keg posts shouldn't need anything other than the o-rings. If there's still a leak after replacing o-rings, then they're either the wrong o-rings or they may have been damaged by overtightening.
Just to be clear, I meant in the threads connecting the post to the keg, not on the outside of the post.

Same here. No tape on my posts. The dip tube O-rings should suffice.

I can't find it, but there was a recent thread where someone commented the differences between the dip-tube O ring and the variety of poppet valves used on a particular keg could cause some sealing problems. The threads on the keg post don't allow it to screw all the way down to full compress the dip tube O ring or the wrong poppet valve isn't able to have enough spring to push down on the dip tube get the post to seal. I think the fix was a getting a set of posts from William's(?) that have threads that go a bit deeper in the post. even the dip tube O rings can be different (round vs a more flattish O ring).

Something like that. I can't remember, so hoping someone in that discussion remembers. I want to do the same with my kegs. I do have this double ended ratchet wrench which is cool to have one tool for all kegs. I'd like to be a bit more standardized though.

The poppet spring pushes down on the flared top of the diptube which squeezes the diptube oring outward which seals against the inside of the post.

Any leaks at the post to keg thread interface points to a worn or undersized diptube oring or an incompatible post.

If there's still a leak after replacing o-rings, then they're either the wrong o-rings or they may have been damaged by overtightening.
or
an incompatible post
Universal posts are not universal. Even if the threads are compatible the depth can be wrong. If the post bottoms out before the o-ring is compressed then it will leak, no matter how much thread tape or pipe dope you use.

or

Universal posts are not universal. Even if the threads are compatible the depth can be wrong. If the post bottoms out before the o-ring is compressed then it will leak, no matter how much thread tape or pipe dope you use.
That's what I meant by incompatible. Though if you do bottom out, you can use a grinder to take material off the bottom of the post. That's necessary pretty often on pinlock to ball lock conversions.

That's what I meant by incompatible.
Yeah, I was agreeing with / expanding on...
Though if you do bottom out, you can use a grinder to take material off the bottom of the post. That's necessary pretty often on pinlock to ball lock conversions.
Yeah, I just finished converting four pinlocks. I did eventually find posts that worked for each one without modification, but it took a lot of trial and error.

110% Agreed, somewhere around here I put up pictures and had a thread on my frustrating efforts on this. Universal fittings from Amazon did bottom out and had leaks before they sealed. The ones from BrewHardware were the ones I finally settled on and bought a bunch. The Amazon stuff got cut down a bit on a lathe but ultimately were thrown out.

I'll caution you to be sure you like something, including testing for bottoming out, before getting a bunch more.

I bought one pack from Amazon as a test for one of my kegs. I looks like I have 3 more kegs to convert eventually. I will likely do those through Bobby. I just want all the posts to be removable with one socket. I had one keg with some weird star socket that looked like a gear. Had to use a flat head and a hammer to get it spinning. That was it for me, all of the odd balls need to go.

I bought one pack from Amazon as a test for one of my kegs. I looks like I have 3 more kegs to convert eventually. I will likely do those through Bobby. I just want all the posts to be removable with one socket. I had one keg with some weird star socket that looked like a gear. Had to use a flat head and a hammer to get it spinning. That was it for me, all of the odd balls need to go.

Cool. I found his to be a shorter distance from the gasket to the bottom of the fitting itself, ensuring they fit all of my kegs and not just a few. The threads were cleaner as well and engaged more smoothly. He's definitely sourcing stuff that's a little better quality. If you keep the Amazon one be sure to test it on all kegs not just one. Turns out that the kegs can vary as well!

Back