Keg of tonic water using Sodastream diet tonic?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zippy123

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I started kegging in January and dedicated one of my taps to diet tonic water that I made using Still Spirits Tonic Water Mix. This was the best tasting tonic water I've ever had and we were going through a keg in 4-5 weeks. No, those were not all for G&T's! Mostly we were drinking the tonic water instead of tap water or soda. . Unfortunately it appears that Still Spirits (a New Zealand company) is no longer shipping to distributors in the US.

Today I discovered that Sodastream has diet tonic water flavor bottles. A single bottle makes 9 liters. Has anyone tried making a keg of tonic water (or other soda for that matter) using Sodastream flavors? I would think I could mix two bottles with 18 liters of water directly in the keg, then carbonate and have my tonic water on tap again. Has anyone tried this? I would much rather make a keg at a time than single servings as needed. Thanks in advance.

1713448457770.png

I haven't ever tried a package, but it seems like it would work if it works in a soda stream.

Right now I have a Topo Chico clone on tap, and I am going through it way too fast!

Forgive me, but are we making tonic water, or some variation of it? Just curious. I have bought tonic water before in cans and have thought about carbonated water on tap.

@OakIslandBrewery I am talking about making tonic water. The Still Spirits tonic water mix made 5 gallons of tonic water. There were 3 sachets in the package; quinine/flavoring, sweetener, and preservative. It was simple. Dump the sachets into a half full corny keg of water, seal it and shake it for a few minutes until the ingredients were fully dissolved, then add water the corny was full. Shake again to mix, then carbonate with 30 PSI CO2 for a few days, turn down to about 10 PSI serving pressure, and dispense delicious tonic water. Add gin and a lime slice to the glass if desired, but we like just plain tonic water as well.

Since it's a cheap experiment, I will try it with the SodaStream tonic water mix and see if I can make a corny or half a corny of tonic. And I'll report back. But judging by the lack of interest in this thread I just might be on my own!

@OakIslandBrewery I am talking about making tonic water. The Still Spirits tonic water mix made 5 gallons of tonic water. There were 3 sachets in the package; quinine/flavoring, sweetener, and preservative. It was simple. Dump the sachets into a half full corny keg of water, seal it and shake it for a few minutes until the ingredients were fully dissolved, then add water the corny was full. Shake again to mix, then carbonate with 30 PSI CO2 for a few days, turn down to about 10 PSI serving pressure, and dispense delicious tonic water. Add gin and a lime slice to the glass if desired, but we like just plain tonic water as well.

Since it's a cheap experiment, I will try it with the SodaStream tonic water mix and see if I can make a corny or half a corny of tonic. And I'll report back. But judging by the lack of interest in this thread I just might be on my own!
Don't get discouraged from the lack of interest, sometimes it takes a while for it to pick up speed.

If no one else appreciates your words you can be assured I do - Thanks!

carbonate with 30 PSI CO2 for a few days, turn down to about 10 PSI serving pressure
10 PSI at 36F is about 2.5 volumes of CO2. Great for lots of beer styles, but isn't tonic water usually fizzier than that? Doesn't it get kinda flat at 10 PSI? Or do you go through it fast enough for that not to matter?

Latest posts

Back