Keg of Apfelwein foaming

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GTengineer10

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So I have a keg of Apfelwein. When I kegged it I force carbonated it. I cooled it and it was coming out as all foam. That was a couple weeks ago. Today I pour myself a half glass of it and it comes out slow but perfectly and I assume I had just over pressurized it and purging some air had helped. An hour later a friend tries to pure some and again it is all foam. Any suggestions on what to do would be great. My beers don't have this problem.

The stats:
7' of 3/16" tube at 11 psi temp around 38F

Also, the pressure reading is from a tank that sits outside the kegerator.

Thanks

with 7' of 3/16" of ID tubing, at 11psi, how long does it take you to pull a pint?

What I found is that, despite all the good 'balancing' calculators out there, everyone is still somewhat unique. The brand and quality of 3/16" tubing does matter.

From what you describe, its dispensing too fast, so CO2 falls out of solution. If its overcarbed, it'll also foam up more even if you are dispensing properly.

Make sure your tap is opening all the way too.

During the brief time that it wasn't foaming it was coming out fairly slow. When it foams it does come out fast, but I attributed that to the density of foam being much lower than the apfelwein. I even did an experiment of disconnecting the CO2 and purging most of the pressure so that it would come out even slower and that did not seem to help.

I believe the faucet is open all of the way.

I feel like I have done everything right. So what I am trying to get at is Apfelwein different (from what I have gathered it should behave the same) or is there something that is beyond the normal balancing that is off. I have a theory that maybe the poppet isn't sitting right and that is causing a turbulent spot.

I actually reduced the pressure on Sunday down to 5 psi. I just now poured a pint that was all foam and it took approximately 18 seconds.

Latest posts

Back