Keg Lining?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TIPA0303

Reaction score
I've searched the threads and couldn't find anything on this, but is there any reason that a keg might have some sort of liner on the inside?

It's probably not evident in the photo, but the keg on the right seems to have a slight blue tinge to it with the naked eye. Is this some sort of sprayed on lining? If so, is it still usable? Can it be cleaned off? What should I do?

Has anyone heard of this?

IMG_20130109_164217_229.jpg

My friend has an aluminum keggle that definitely has a lining, which he uses for a boil kettle. The prospect of boiling in it sort of freaks me out but he doesn't seem to worry about it. On his keg, I can't think of any practical way to remove it but it clearly can get scratched. If you plan to use it, maybe that one should be the mash tun...?

I've put a magnet against both and they stick about the same so I'm thinking they have to be stainless.

I dont know what it is, but I had an AB keg a few years ago that would not take an ark from the inside of the keg when welding on a ferrule. It welded fine from the outside, and I have been using it ever since. It is definitely stainless and is stamped 304 on the collar

I had a friend who worked for Dow Chemical years ago and one of the things they had was a sprayed-on lining for beverage cans so the metallic taste would not transfer into the product. Maybe some keg manufacturers have something similar.

I've modified several & welded inside, but haven't run across one yet, but it's possible!

The difference in appearance of the two kegs might be due to different passivation processes, or a slight difference in metallurgy, or both.

Given all the unlined stainless crap my beer runs through and/or sits in for months if not longer, and never having imparted any flavor or odor that anyone has ever noticed, I rather doubt a stainless vessel needs a liner for anything related to beer...

Cheers!

[edit: fwiw, beverage cans are aluminum, and beer is acidic. Huge difference.]

I agree I have never heard of a lining in a stainless keg, but are there any welders out there that could tell me what else besides a lining could keep a keg from arcing properly on the inside of a keg, but not the outside?

I just got an AB sixtel that still had funky old beer in it, now sure of age. Anyway, after opening the keg and begsn pouring out the fluid, pieces of some kind of grey membrane came out. Attached photo of one piece. Wtf is this? Could be related to liner mentioned in this post? My corny kegs don’t have anything like this. It’s hard to shine a light into the keg to see if there’s more in there. Ideas?

Attachments

• 6F28D647-BDD0-4352-93F8-500976255097.jpeg
    6F28D647-BDD0-4352-93F8-500976255097.jpeg
    157.1 KB · Views: 43
My FIL had these odd kegs with plastic removeable linings. I can't recall if the kegs were SS or what material. The lining was one time use and he's super cheap so I have no clue why he kept buying/using them, but I sent him a link to used pin lock kegs on sale at one of the online websites and he bought some and finally ditched the strange ones.

Back