Keg It?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewskey

Reaction score
I've been at this for about three years now with only one unconfirmed infection to date. But, I brewed Orfy's Hobgoblin clone and it refused to budge past 1.018 so, after pulling the stopper and taking samples for gravity readings way too many times I've got a definite film growing on the surface, I could tell something was there yesterday and today it definitely looks worse. The beer tastes good but too sweet, I'm thinking just dump it instead of kegging it and infecting everything it touches. Would you agree?

I took the picture through the top of the carboy, its not a great picture but you can see the film pretty well.

How long has it been in there? It kinda looks normal to me. Gravity seems a little high, but what did you start with? And what kind of yeast? Need a lot more info.

I just had a Blonde that started at 10.62 and it finished at 10.20. Too darn high but it taste great, I kegged most of it so I don't have to worry about Bottle bombs. I pitched a slurry of us-05. I have no Idea why the yeast quit, But the taste is ok.:mug:

How long has it been in there? It kinda looks normal to me. Gravity seems a little high, but what did you start with? And what kind of yeast? Need a lot more info.

OG 1.055
Yeast: Nottingham
Been on the yeast for 3 weeks

It doesn't exactly look normal. Like I said its not the best pic but there is definitely something going on.

Doesn't look infected to me. Just looks like a typical oily sheen with CO2 bubbles. I'm not familiar with the recipe and what it should finish at, but you could try pitching some more yeast and warming it up. If that doesn't help, or it does turn out to be an infection... either decide if it's good enough to drink, or dump it. I wouldn't worry much about infecting your kegging equipment. Nothing a good clean and sanitize can't take care of.

If it were me, I would rack off the yeast into a secondary, wait three days, and then check the gravity and taste. The yeast did seem to quit too early, so if it seems okay, you could drink it the way it is, or repitch. As Brew Dogs would say, I would drink it. 1.018 isn't terribly high.

Hows it taste? You're kegging, no bottle bombs, I had one batch that had an issue, tasted good, kegged and drank it.
I used a picnic tap so I didn't need to clean the kegarators lines and tap, got better as it drained;)
Sanitize the keg and change the O rings, good to go.:mug:

Hows it taste? You're kegging, no bottle bombs, I had one batch that had an issue, tasted good, kegged and drank it.
I used a picnic tap so I didn't need to clean the kegarators lines and tap, got better as it drained;)
Sanitize the keg and change the O rings, good to go.:mug:

It tastes fine, I just didn't want to get it (whatever it is) in my draft lines. I use plastic picnic taps, guess I could just keg and get rid of the O rings and beer line when it kicks.

It tastes fine, I just didn't want to get it (whatever it is) in my draft lines. I use plastic picnic taps, guess I could just keg and get rid of the O rings and beer line when it kicks.

I'm still using the same picnic line and tap, extra diligent when cleaning it and no issue.
I think you would have to be pretty sloppy for your lines to infect a keg:mug:

Latest posts

Back