Keg cooling question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

canihaveurpants

Reaction score
So I hooked up my new Johnson digital temp controller to my mini fridge today and stuck two kegs into the fridge. The kegs are both mostly full (5 gallons) and were sitting at room temp before putting them into the fridge (~73 degrees).

I just got home from an 8 hour shift and see the Johnson is now reading 69 degrees. So basically a drop of ~4 degrees over an 8+ hour period. Is this normal since the kegs were warm or am I looking at an issue here?

Thanks!

My first thought is to make sure you set the fridge to the coldest setting when using the temp controller.

One thing I do is duct tape my temp probe to the side of one of the kegs inside. It better regulates the temp inside(beer temp, not ambient air temp), and the on-off cycling of the compressor is significantly reduced, extending its life

So after 48 hours or so the fridge was still only at 65 degrees and wasn't getting any lower. I decided to empty the fridge and try cooling it without the kegs. Having the same problem where I only get a ~10 degree drop and won't go lower. Anyone else run into this issue? I'm using this Frigidaire 4.4 cu ft mini fridge .

EDIT: The compressor is running, it just isn't being very effective.

I have to ask, why are you using a Johnson controller on a fridge? Is this a serving fridge or a fermentation chamber? Well, whichever it is, Sounds to me that either your Johnson controller isn't programmed properly, your thermostat on your fridge is not set properly, or your fridge finally gave up...just so we can start eliminating possibilities, this fridge DID work without the Johnson controller? Have you tried unplugging the Johnson and plugging the fridge straight to the wall?

It's a serving fridge. It doesn't work well with the Johnson or its normal plug. I've come to the conclusion that the fridge is shot and just purchased a chest freezer today to go the keezer route.

canihaveurpants said:
...just purchased a chest freezer today to go the keezer route.

That's the best (and most awesome) solution to your problem.

Latest posts

Back