Keg conversion

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brehuh

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I guess I am not going to do this myself, but I am going to have my 1/2 barrel kegs converted into keggles. I am not very handy, aside from building computers, I just built a stir plate and I think that is the extent of my capability. So I am having a guy covert my kegs for me. I am wondering if you think the price is fair, or if I can get the parts and then only have him do the labor.

His labor for cutting the top off, cleaning, prepping and wielding is $60 per keg.

Cost for the ball valve, thermometer, sight glass, and dip tube is $130.
Without the dip tube it is $108.

I am not sure what the dip tube is for, this is the first time I heard about it. Is it only for the mash tun? To help flow?

So what does everyone think, is this a good deal?

Seems to be decent enough to me. When I had my pots welded it came out to $50 per weld. As for the dip tube, it's to help get as much of your wort out as possible from the bottom of the keg without tipping and disturbing the trub.

If 130 for parts and labor, not bad. Could add a few extra fittings for a herms coil or return valve. I also added a 1 inch coupler for a electric element.

seems his labor is $60 an hour and a skilled craftsman should be able to knock out one keg in an hour.

its the $130 in PARTS I don't like.

I'd buy the parts my self and take every thing to him and pay $60

shoot $60 an hour is a damn fine paying job if you ask me.

-=Jason=-

whats is the out the door price on two kegs?

if its only $60 in labor and $130 in parts for two kegs then I say its not a bad deal at all.

thats less than $100 into each keg minus the purchase price of said kegs.

-

-=Jason=-

Latest posts

Back