Keg Condition Belgian Dubbel

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lawlessamps

Reaction score
Just a recap. Brewed a AG belgian dubbel on Nov 30 and kegged it tonight (Jan 23). OG was 1.072 and FG is 1.010 for a 85% attenuation rate which is great.
The recipe is for the Westmalle Dubbel from Beer Captured and gives no info on kegging. I usually keg my belgian wits or hefe's but never the heavy belgians. Please offer me advice on keg conditioning. I kegged then applied 30psi of CO2 and purged the O2 and it is sitting in a room at a temp of low 60's.
How long should it sit? Is there a proper way to condition?
I had a St Bernardus Christmas Ale out of the keg and it was heavenly. What is the proper way to keg big belgians since belgians are predominantly what I brew?

Well, you have a couple things going on.

"Beer Captured" usually gives you an aging guideline with each recipe. In fine tradition sometimes I find they're right on, other times I have found to the contrary.

For a big beer like that I like to see three months at least between brewing and drinking. I do my dubbel's in the mid-to-late part of the Summer and usually around this time is when they go on tap.

Be careful carbing with sugar in that "Beer Captured" will typically give you the specs for doing it with Belgian bottles and not kegs. If you followed their volume for carbing with sugar that keg could be a potential issue. Although it isn't true to style I carb with a standard volume of sugar and if I feel I need more in it I will add it once it goes into the keezer.

After kegging I'll store at around 65 degrees to let the yeast do its thing for carbing. If I think of it I'll move it to where I lager (50 degrees or so) but often times it just sits at 65.

Back