keg... cold crash and gelatin

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jake_

Reaction score
First time kegging. My beer is in the keg, in the fridge, all oxygen purged. I have gelatin and was wondering what the best way to use it would be. Should I opt out for this first time? should I have used it while beer was still in carboy? is it ok to cold crash and use gelatin simultaneously in keg?

I plan to force carb at 12 psi for a week or so.

Also brand new member. Thank you all in advance! :drunk:

Welcome! You can use gelatin in either primary/secondary or in the keg, but both need to be cold for it to work well. The idea with using it in primary/secondary is you don't transfer the stuff to the keg to begin with, whereas the keg you just siphon the bulk of it out on your first pour or two. I usually prefer doing it in the carboy when I cold crash, but have done it at kegging several times as well. I haven't done side-by-sides, but it seems both are effective methods to clear beer.

I dunno, I like how quickly it clears my beer. If I didn't see a benefit I certainly wouldn't use it.

Latest posts

Back