Keg / Carboy Washer (yes another) . . .

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Only took 1.5 years to do it but I finally modified the keg/carboy washer to accommodate the spigot on a better bottle.

2012-10-12_18-15-02_826.jpg

It works on 15 Gallon malt druns as well!
I purchased 3 of these used malt drums from my LHBS and they still had quite a bit of extract in them. I heated 10 gallons of water in my HLT and divided the hot water into them... shook them up and rinsed them out best I could with a garden hose. there was still quite a layer of extract on the bottom of each drum so I decided to give it a go on this new contraption I made. Over all, I cleaned 1 carboy, 2 corny kegs (I added the ball lock fittings option), 1 5 Liter flask, and 3 15 gallon malt drums! Wow!
2012-12-18%2021.43.44.jpg

Subbed... This looks like a badass contraption. Sign me up for one when I get a chance to finish building my brew rig.

So, I really want to do this design but the free/available/in-my-possession water pump is 1/3 hp. It is from a working sump pump that was left in the house when we bought it last year (I guess 1/3hp wasn't enough for sump-pumping so they installed a larger one). Also, it is clearly not a motor that can be submerged.

My question is how difficult it would be to shroud the motor (inverted bucket?) to protect it, with access to the water-level switch to turn it on/off. Then, I can set it in another bucket/basin down below it, filled with my cleaning solution of choice. I would have to angle the pump path outward and then up, to come up under whatever it is I am cleaning (possibly through an extra deep-sink I originally bought on craigslist to mount the dishwasher 'guts' in for a keg washer).

Here are some photos... hoping someone smarter than me can 1) tell me if 1/3 hp will make me a corny rocket or 2) tell me how best (and cheapest) to make this happen. Thanks!

Best bet would be to get a 7 gallon bucket and put it in there and then cleverly pipe the outflow up and into your vessel to be cleaned (i.e. keg, carboy, etc...). The vessel you're trying to clean should be suspended over another 5-7 gallon water-catch-bucket that is positioned a little higher than the pump's bucket and then you can just allow gravity to gently drain it back into the pump bucket and not risk getting the motor wet. It would be similar in operation to Moster Mash's suggestion, but the two separate vessels allow for a little modicum of safety and protection for that pump motor. I'll try and work up a crude drawing of the process if you would like? Gotta love crude drawings.

Only if you use a napkin or a beer coaster. Haha

It sounds like we are describing the same overall idea.
Did I mention that I want it all built into a rolling wooden table where I will mount my grain mill as well? ;)

Here is my version of a Keg/Fermenter/Beerline/Hose washer.

I used a sump pump, a couple of 5 gal buckets from lowes, a few nuts,washers and carriage bolts, some plastic sprinkler fittings & riser and a few brass fittings.

I can use this for cleaning my kegs and fermenters with the raiser installed. I remove the riser and second bucket and attach a different fitting that allows me to attach my beer lines to clean them.

Its a pretty simple and easy to build design and it works great.

IMG_9401.jpg

IMG_9402.jpg

IMG_9403.jpg

IMG_9398.jpg

Here is a vid of it in action

Last edited by a moderator:

I used a sump pump, a couple of 5 gal buckets from lowes, a few nuts,washers and carriage bolts, some plastic sprinkler fittings & riser and a few brass fittings.

I can use this for cleaning my kegs and fermenters with the raiser installed. I remove the riser and second bucket and attach a different fitting that allows me to attach my beer lines to clean them.

You would't happen to have a parts list would ya? That thing looks great.

Wow, that is such a great idea. There's a lot of pressure there, I'm surprised it doesn't blow the Better Bottle off. Beats brushing and is scratch free!

I guess you store the system dry because wet would get scummy over time. Just empty it out and let air-dry?

DemonEagle said:

Here is a vid of it in action

Video Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=206yOeHtQYY

How do you use this to clean your hoses and beer lines?

You would't happen to have a parts list would ya? That thing looks great.

I didn't keep a formal parts list but here are some pics of what I used. Got everything from lowes in the plumbing or lawn sprinkler sections.

The grey plastic sprinkler riser is 1/2"x18"

2-5 gal buckets - 1 bucket left as is and 1 has a 2" hole drilled center in the bottom (used a door knob install hole saw) and also has 5/16"x1" carriage bolts,washers and nuts installed through the sides of the bucket 3" from the bottom using an extra nut as a spacer so the carriage bolts rest on the lip of the other bucket.

Parts.jpg

Riser.jpg

The larger brass fitting is a flare fitting and threaded adapter that replace the raiser when I clean my beer lines for my keezer. I had to hake saw off the flare section of the flare fittings. It has the same threads as the tap shank. I connect the end of my beer line that would connect to the beer tap shank and let' run.

Wow, that is such a great idea. There's a lot of pressure there, I'm surprised it doesn't blow the Better Bottle off. Beats brushing and is scratch free!

I guess you store the system dry because wet would get scummy over time. Just empty it out and let air-dry?

Yea I was a little worried when I first used it. I had a weight on the bottle the first time I started but it works fine without it.

To store it I just empty it and reverse the buckets (so they nest) for storage.

Storage.jpg

When I use I only mix up a couple gallons of hot tap water and cleaner.

How do you use this to clean your hoses and beer lines?

So far to clean my beer lines I us a flare fitting and threaded adapter that replace the raiser when I clean my beer lines for my keezer. I had to hake saw off the flare section of the flare fittings. It has the same threads as the tap shank. I connect the end of my beer line that would connect to the beer tap shank and let'er run. When doing this I still disassemble my taps and clean by hand.

BLF.jpg

I plan to build a hose with a liquid keg fitting on the end so I can just connect my keg fitting to it and then use a growler filler connector with an extended hose which will run the cleaner back into the bucket. This way I could clean my beer lines and taps without disassembly. I would flush with clean water and star-san too.

I know you're kegging, but for those who bottle (like me), connect an automatic (push-down) bottle washer to it somehow. Don't know if the pressure build-up would be too high while in its closed state.

Are you're using PBW or just regular washing soda (Sodium Carbonate)?

I know you're kegging, but for those who bottle (like me), connect an automatic (push-down) bottle washer to it somehow. Don't know if the pressure build-up would be too high while in its closed state.

Are you're using PBW or just regular washing soda (Sodium Carbonate)?

I would think you could use some kind of valve to limit the pressure or bleed off the un-needed pressure if using a bottle washer attachment.

I use PBW for washing and Star-san to sanitize.

So far it completely cleans my kegs. If I have a feremter with a lot of dried on krausen at the neck. I'll put a little PBW and hot water in the bottle and use a solid bung so I can then turn the fermeter bottle upside down so the dried on krausen can soak a little before it goes onto the washer

I plan to build a hose with a liquid keg fitting on the end so I can just connect my keg fitting to it and then use a growler filler connector with an extended hose which will run the cleaner back into the bucket. This way I could clean my beer lines and taps without disassembly. I would flush with clean water and star-san too.

Very similar to my setup. I've got a male QD fitting on the top of my tube which just sprays up to clean kegs/carboys. When it's line cleaning time I just snap on my line adapter which is nothing more than a female QD connected to a liquid keg post. I just set the whole thing in front of the keezer and let the tap drain directly back into the bucket. I do like you're two bucket approach. Will have to make that modification.

Made one of these today. I used a 1/4 hp, 1800 gph pump from superior pump. I got it from amazon for $44 to my door. I sacrificed a bottling bucket that I haven't used in a couple of years.

image-3157220204.jpg

First off, amazing thread! Looking forward to building one this week.

While researching pumps, i came across this image from amazon:

519hmJr-qJL.jpg

The part that concerns me is the: "Exclusive Double O-Ring Seal-Reduces Oil Leaking"

I assume with any submersible this will be the case. Is this me just being super paranoid?

...The part that concerns me is the: "Exclusive Double O-Ring Seal-Reduces Oil Leaking"

I assume with any submersible this will be the case. Is this me just being super paranoid?

That caught your eye too, huh?

I'm not sure what the purpose is, cooling perhaps? Many pumps are filled with some sort of oil. I took a broken submersible apart and yes, filled with oil.

The oil is used for lubrication and cooling of the motor as it runs.

Came across this article: "Submersible Well Pumps and Water Contamination". Its for well pumps but the principle is generally the same for these oil filled submersibles.

Edit: (hit submit too early) Older pumps may contain PCBs which are carcinogenic.

Wonder what type of oil is used in the Superior double o-ring pump. Probably non-food grade mineral oil.

Is there a reason these are not done with copper sweat fittings other than cost?I've got everything needed without pvc if so. The cross would be galvanized

Is anyone using a ball valve (cheaper brass one) off the pump to control the pressure? Sounds as if that's better for cleaing, rather than a hard stream bouncing off the surface of the vessel. If this has been covered my bad in advance.

Thanks
Steve

One more Idea... Has anyone figured a way to wash a 15 gallon KEG!!! I hate cleaning mine after brew day. Could you use a rectangle or square plastice tub with a a 2" hole in it and lay that ontop of the bucket? Then set the keg inside the tub and fire up the pump? Maybe even a small garbage can?

Is anyone using a ball valve (cheaper brass one) off the pump to control the pressure? Sounds as if that's better for cleaing, rather than a hard stream bouncing off the surface of the vessel. If this has been covered my bad in advance.

Thanks
Steve

Yes I use a PVC valve off the pump for this to adjust the pressure between carboy cleaning and keg connections.

One more Idea... Has anyone figured a way to wash a 15 gallon KEG!!! I hate cleaning mine after brew day. Could you use a rectangle or square plastice tub with a a 2" hole in it and lay that ontop of the bucket? Then set the keg inside the tub and fire up the pump? Maybe even a small garbage can?

No reason why that wouldn't work providing it could support the weight. KCBrewer built a keg/carboy washer using (I think) a motor from a washing machine and a utility sink. Here's the link to his build thread.

So i wanted a washer that would wash not only a carboy and corny keg but also my boil kettle. This is what I came up with. There is a valve just under the surface of the blue plastic pan which I use when I want to divert the pressure to the hose attachments for the corny keg. (took the photo with my phone and for the life of me have no idea how to rotate them on here...sorry)

keg.jpg

photo.JPG

all these pretty pictures and no Parts List: (at least I did not find one.

I don't know enough about Plumbing stuff...

May be I will just take my Laptop to the Plumbing Supply Store and see if they can help me....

DPB

all these pretty pictures and no Parts List: (at least I did not find one.

I don't know enough about Plumbing stuff...

May be I will just take my Laptop to the Plumbing Supply Store and see if they can help me....

DPB

Its not an actual list but it shows you what you need. The parts may vary a bit based on the pump you use. Sorry about the photo I still have not idea how to rotate that from my phone. One edit would be the three parts that are in the top left of the photo, with the threads, (looking at if it was rotated correctly) I only needed two. Also not pictured would be the 1/2" pvc pipe and the pvc primer and cement.

parts.jpg

Just this past weekend, I was making a huge mess cleaning a corny keg. Now, I'm going to build one of these for the garage. While looking at Harbor Freight, I did notice a 3/4 HP stainless steel pump that is on sale for $55. I know how everyone here likes stainless. The only drawback I saw was it has a 77F temp rating. I like to use really hot water.

Just this past weekend, I was making a huge mess cleaning a corny keg. Now, I'm going to build one of these for the garage. While looking at Harbor Freight, I did notice a 3/4 HP stainless steel pump that is on sale for $55. I know how everyone here likes stainless. The only drawback I saw was it has a 77F temp rating. I like to use really hot water.

Stainless really does nothing for you in this application. If you can get a higher temp rated pump in plastic for that go for it vs the SS version

Mine is only rated to 77˚ as well but I've had the water well over 100˚ and it's still going strong.

Thanks, that is good info about the temp rating. The stainless means nothing to me in this application, but it is 3/4hp so I may get that one. I don't have carboys, so it will only be used for kegs

Back