Keezer temp

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WaltG

Reaction score
So here's the deal. I converted a chest freezer and right now I set my controller at 39f. I have my probe in a 22oz bottle of water next to the keg. The problem is the beer is coming out at 33-34f which at 10psi got it overcarbonated.

The question is can I assume that difference to be constant?

Is there a better way to do my probe?

I just went up a bit on temp and venting periodicaly but want it not to happen in future.
20180105_163020.jpg

Looks like your temp probe might be in a bottle, I assume in liquid (water?)...

If so, try taking the probe out of the liquid and placing it to the outside of the bottle with some insulation (cut up koozie) over it to protect it from ambient temps.

There are quite a few variables when it comes to temperature control, air circulation within the keezer, etc. A lot of people have a small fan inside their keezer to circulate the air to keep it more consistent. I have found that once I find that 'sweet spot' (aka the right temperature, kegging psi, etc.), I find everything can be maintained at a stable constant. I usually keep pretty detailed notes on each brew day, fermentation period, kegging period, etc. That way, I can monitor all those little variables and learn from my mistakes or successes. No one brewer is going to have the exact same equipment, keezer, lines, temperature control device, etc.

In other words, figure out what works best for you, and run with it.

In a bottle of water inside thermowell. Am I better off just insulating and attaching to keg?
20180105_164106.jpg

Ok. I'll try that when i get home. I thought in water and thermowell would help with ambient.

I only have cold side of my temp control turned on. Should I turn on heat too, I think what's happening is it's cooling to temp then dropping 1-2 degrees after.

I'm in FL, and typically I only have the cool side on. My keezer/fermentation set-up is in my garage, so I only plug in the heat during the "bomb cyclones." Other than that, the cool line is usually the only active one. Manage your settings on your temperature controller, as well as any cool settings built into your fridge/freezer/keezer, etc.

I use 10ft 3/16th inside diameter hoses connected to intertap faucets at 12 lbs in a 34 degree keezer with no issues. Since I went to 10ft my issues went away. I have a slower pour without the overcarbonation. I don't have the link but there are several good articles out there.

I did notice if i dispense at a lower psi it is alot better so I think a longer hose may do it.

I think the temperature difference happens because the keg is leaning against the wall of the freezer. Try also placing the bottle (with the sensor) on the freezer wall. I imagine that would match the temperatures. A pc fan would also help.

If the keg will always be in that location, why not just adjust the temp differential on the therm controller or set to 44F for 39F.

My guess is that the beer temp is stratifying with the coldest at the bottom where the beer is drawn. You could adjust therm controller as noted above or move bottle to floor of keezer, not hump. A fan will help tremendously as well.

Your bottle is not touching the wall like the keg is, less heat transfer. Rig a little computer fan and it will even out the temps better.

And obviously, calibrated thermometer is important vs the temp probe.

whats wrong with 34 degree beer? :confused:

technically speaking, without a fan in there, the coldest part of the freezer will be the bottom where the keg is sitting , that's also where the dip tube is, right? try putting the bottle down there and see how that works.

Also, 10PSI shouldn't be causing a foamy pour at 34 degrees with the proper hose length.

Back