Keezer safety (for the beer)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LAHammer

Lovin' the beach...
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Just fired up my first keezer this weekend and I'm completing the plumbing installation. My keezer is on the back porch, handy to the pool. In finishing up, I envision one of the grandkids or other rugrat or the occasional raccoon opening one of the taps when I'm not nearby to go upside their head and turn it off.
I was wondering if anyone has theirs plumbed so that you could shut off the liquid lines in some convenient way to put it in "safe mode". I was thinking of maybe ball valves attached to the shanks or even just in the beverage line. I don't want to screw up the liquid flow by creating a constriction but I don't really want to take off the pin lock connectors either.
Anything that anyone has tried?

I know many ideas have been discussed, but I don't know how many of them have actually been implemented. If you put the valves as close to the kegs as possible, the length of line before it reaches the faucet should smooth out most of the turbulence it causes. Absolutely make sure the actual ID of the valves is at least as large as the beer line ID.

I like to keep it really simple, by taking the tap handle off, when a keg is empty. That way, it's pretty difficult to open the tap. I have perlick faucets, but I think this would work with any type. I suppose a kid, hanging on the faucet, could open it though.

jperry said:
I like to keep it really simple, by taking the tap handle off, when a keg is empty. That way, it's pretty difficult to open the tap. I have perlick faucets, but I think this would work with any type.

I think he's asking the best way to keep a kid from knocking open a tap on a full keg and dumping it on the ground.

I remove my tap handles and it keeps them from getting accidentally opened.

It might prevent accidental opening of the faucets, but it doesn't prevent kids (or adults) from fiddling with them and opening them. Guests at a party last year proved that for me.

Taking off the pin lock connectors is probably the easiest but they are under a pile of plumbing and I was hoping for something a little cleaner. Putting the valves closer to the keg makes sense for smoothing the flow but a little less convenient. My tap handles are diy and not the easiest to unscrew - plus the faucet could still be opened. The locks are too expensive and probably wouldn't work with the tap handles I have. Hoping there would be a good, clean solution.

I'm probably paranoid about this but I cringe at the thought of a giant puddle of my beer on the floor.

i used bungee cords once. looks pretty ghetto but did work nicely. i was building shelves all around the keever for storing stuff and bumped the faucet and lost about a gallon before i could shut it off. the bungee cord will allow you to use the tap but closes when you get go.

I want to buy some locks too, but at $30-50 Canadian, that's pricey!!

I too am trying to figure out what to do for my 525SS's, i havent built my coffin keezer yet but i can see the cats jumping up on it and rubbing up against them opening a line some how...

I think if i remove the tap handles i would be ok, they are already pretty stiff valves that require a decent amount of pressure to open with the handle i dont see how the cat could push the nub enough to open it.

I was thinking of some kind of pipe running across and in front of the tap handles, clamped to the back of the keezer to prevent the handles from going forward.

This solution has bested our 2yr old, so far.

ForumRunner_20130716_165507.jpg

jonos7 said:
I'f I'm not going to be around I'll turn the co2 off

That's a good practice to avoid co2 loss, but doesn't help much with losing beer. Unless its a full keg. Then maybe you wouldn't lose all your beer.

You could add two posts at each end of the taps (shaped similarly to the taps), and then take a piece of wood with holes cut out for the taps and the posts and drop it over the top to prevent any taps from being pulled. If you want to lock it, then a couple of holes drilled through the posts could take padlocks. Should be quick to drop on if you are popping away for a bit, and possible to secure for longer absences.

Hmm this might need a diagram...

Drill a hole through the faucet handle and run a wire, rope, or lock through the hole then back to the C-clamp mounted on the freezer/fridge. So if someone wants your beer they will need a drill. Do you know what a gun lock looks like; the one they have to give you every time you buy a gun. I think that would work will for this.

I like the hole in the tap idea. I think a guitar string might work. Just gotta make some sort of locking device behind the tap.

I was worried about my cats as well so I used flow control taps so that when I cut the flow all the way off it cant flow.

Seems like one of these: transformer
318E8YcD62L.jpg

and one of these:valves for each line
get_image.aspx

and a hidden switch might work. Heck you could even get a key switch:
41dl1IHCp0L._SL110_.jpg

disclaimer - I have not tried this myself -

Last edited by a moderator:
You could add two posts at each end of the taps (shaped similarly to the taps), and then take a piece of wood with holes cut out for the taps and the posts and drop it over the top to prevent any taps from being pulled. If you want to lock it, then a couple of holes drilled through the posts could take padlocks. Should be quick to drop on if you are popping away for a bit, and possible to secure for longer absences.

Hmm this might need a diagram...

Interesting idea, as im not worrying about kids but more about cats im wondering if i could just drop this piece of wood over the top of my 4 tap handles. In theory then though the issue becomes if *somehow* one of the taps is opened..all 4 are opened lol.

Interesting idea, as im not worrying about kids but more about cats im wondering if i could just drop this piece of wood over the top of my 4 tap handles. In theory then though the issue becomes if *somehow* one of the taps is opened..all 4 are opened lol.

Yeah, which is why I then though of the posts (I guess you could also lock the bar to the keezer some other way). OTOH, you could pour 4 beers at a time... :D

Seems like one of these: transformer
318E8YcD62L.jpg

and one of these:valves for each line
get_image.aspx

and a hidden switch might work. Heck you could even get a key switch:
41dl1IHCp0L._SL110_.jpg

disclaimer - I have not tried this myself -
Wouldn't recommend these valves. They do not appear to be food safe. But one of the many gate valves used in the common automated brewing system setups should work just fine. personally, I would route the liquid lines from the keg to a set of valves on the back wall of the keezer (bundled with the CO2 lines) then run from the valves through a reasonable length of coiled tubing for resistance and then off to the taps themselves. you will likely still get some leakage from whatever is presurized in the line when you close the valve, but it should keep the rest of the keg and your CO2 bottle from spewing onto the floor. Plus a Key lock on your beer taps is just cool to begin with! :)

The other idea I had onvolved some sort of cover over the taps like the cover over the keys on a piano with the ability to lock it. Still trying to work out the logistics of that in my head though due to some of the crazy tall tap handles I've seen!

Edit: All of the valves I'm seeing for the automated systems are 1/2" and you would want 1/4". They're also expensive so....

Edit2: http://smartvalves.en.ec21.com/2_way_Motorized_Ball_Valve--4743207_6629150.html stainless 1/4" motorized ball valve. This should do it. no clue on pricing, Minimum order quantity of 5...

Last edited by a moderator:
I've seen plans for a piece of wood on each end with a hole in it that a dowel rod could go through. Lock on each end and your tap handles can't be pulled forward. That's the best design I've heard so far. You can also make that end piece whatever shape suites you.

@ kcolby
yes, the irrigation valves are probably not food safe -
NSF-rated solenoids run $58 for stainless 1/4"

the valve shop

8256.jpg

I like the idea of a motorized ball valve for smoother flow, but it looks like they're about $200 ea
see here

mikescooling said:
They have auto return faucet handles, so the raccoon would have to stay there and hold the faucet handle down. Before I get another group of people telling me they cant afford my idea; it's just an idea, I'm trying to help.
http://rapidswholesale.com/beer-faucet-self-closing-chrome.html?gclid=CJr73qXnubgCFctcMgodcBUAhA

Absolutely fantastic idea! Good job on this one. I wonder if there is a way to put a stainless spring in an existing tap without modification?

Some great ideas here. I've already got the faucets but turning off the flow versions is certainly a good idea. I'm not looking for anything automated and the I thing valves would be more expensive than locks, which are also too expensive.

I really like the bar in front of the handles idea and I'm thinking you could do a metal bar or wood that would be attached at both sides of the faucets to prevent all of the handles from being pulled forward. It wouldn't necessarily have to lock as I'm mostly interested in trying to prevent accidental opening.

Back