Keezer question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kjuckett1025

Reaction score
Hi,

So I've been going back and forth between keezer style or kegerator style. From what I've seen, keezers seem to be the overall better choice; better layouts, easier to setup ( no messing with electronics, collar to not drill into unit, possibly damaging coils ).

Anyone have anything to say in regards to

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/igloo-5-2-cu-ft-chest-freezer-seashell-white/5038556.p?id=1218603010333&skuId=5038556&pid=1218603010333&pcatId=abcat0902000

It's an Igloo 5.2 freezer, which already has outlined specs / layout images in the forums. Anyone have it? Does it work well? For the price, it's similar to buying a mini fridge. Figured this might be the better option, outside of finding used on Craigslist ( most nearby are 100-125, circa 1999-2002 ).

Would you suggest a tower on this bad boy, or a collar style?

I like the idea of modding a freezer over a mini fridge too. Looks like you should be able to get 2 Corny ball lock kegs and a 5# CO2 tank in there without needing a collar. Question is, do you want to drill thru the top with a holesaw, or build a collar and use faucets? Myself, I'm planning on going with a tower and building a cooling fan for it. Just not sure if I want a 5 or 7 Cu Ft freezer.

Are you going to get a temp control unit,or just go with the thermostat that it comes with?

:mug:

I'll spend the extra few bucks and get the temperature controller, just to be safe.

I was curious about putting a tower on it, as it's practically the same size as the refrigerators, but I'm unsure if the top door has any coils in it. Id imagine it doesn't, as I wouldnt see practicality in it, but who knows!

I was curious about putting a tower on it, as it's practically the same size as the refrigerators, but I'm unsure if the top door has any coils in it. Id imagine it doesn't, as I wouldnt see practicality in it, but who knows!
I don't see any wires or lines going up to the lid from the pics. If it looks like you can remove it by taking the screws out of the hinges and lifting it off, I'd say you could drill thru it no problem.

If you have the space and can afford it I would go with a 7+ cf unit. It's just better to be able to have more kegs. I use a 5 cf unit for my fermentation chamber and I wouldonly be able to fit 2 kegs in it, maybe 3 if I built a big collar and stored a keg on the hump.

Back