Keezer lid design ideas needed

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dlutter

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So, I'd like to build a split top 9 cu ft keezer (45"wide) with a stainless or black pipe tap tower that is built into a cabinet with a bar top. I have a narrow space for the keezer and 3 small kids. As such, I am not thrilled about a collar design. I also won't be able to use the freezer's lid hinges to lift the whole lid open, hence the split top idea. My vision is that the left side would have a cabinet with stationary bar top, the keezer would have a stationary top on the back for the tap tower, the front/majority portion of the keezer lid would be removeable or hinged, and finally the right side would have a stationary top cabinet that houses a glass doored beverage center.

I haven't seen anything like I am envisioning in all of my thread reading/internet searches.

Has anyone done something like this or have suggestions on how to go about it? My biggest concern is how to build the lid and insulate it so that it seals well but is not destroyed by regular use.

20191123_094036.jpg
20191123_094054.jpg
20191123_094103.jpg

Thanks in advance.

Can't say I've seen this done before. Closest might be the guy who converted an ice cream fridge with a tap tower and sliding glass door on top. If I'm understanding what your looking for, you may want to remove the lid completely and build/insulate a new one, with half being the tower and the other half being the access door.

If your concern with the collar style is the kids, have you considered using tap locks? Just a thought.

If you go forward with your design, please share it with us. I'd love to see something like this.

Cheers. :mug:

Thanks for the reply. I thought about tap locks but even then the accessible,low taps will become handles for them to hang on and things to tie ropes to, etc. I am definitely planning on building a new likeyyou described and will post a build thread.

Hey I have the same sofa. I really like the split lid idea, best of both worlds. With a collar you can probably move the unused hinge over to the hinged side. I think the tap tower is the best route, keep them up out of reach plus no worries about someone running past and smacking into it. Even vacuuming in front of it can pose a hazard. Imagine knocking a faucet off, the beer would start gushing out and unless you're standing right there to pop off the QD, it'll be a whole keg of beer on the nice wood floor.

I think what youre describing was done in a recent issue of BYO featuring a reader’s home setup. I’m about a month or two away from starting that build myself. I will look up the article (I’ll need to find it again for my own reference anyways) and post back which issue to find it.

I think what youre describing was done in a recent issue of BYO featuring a reader’s home setup. I’m about a month or two away from starting that build myself. I will look up the article (I’ll need to find it again for my own reference anyways) and post back which issue to find it.

I think I know the one you are talking about. There is a thread on here about the same build. I saw the BYO article first and that is what got me started with the split top idea.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum/threads/keezer-build-with-fixed-tower.621360/

I'm going to be using a bigger freezer and want it to look built in to a bar/ cabinet so the freezer isn't visible at all.

I understand. I could have done multiple towers, or a black pipe on the top, but it was too cumbersome with a swing lid. I like the collar design. Add a nice drip tray and the collar looks great I think!
20181230_131417.jpg

How did I miss this in the months I spent planning my keezer build? I really wanted to DIY a tap tower but didn't want to deal with the clearance needed every time I want to open it up. Now I have my taps sticking out the front which I hate.

Now I get to build it all over again! :ban:

Last edited:
Stumbled on another similar build recently.
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum/threads/show-us-your-kegerator.29053/page-165#post-8133588

Hows the prototype coming along?

Nice. I like the dryer vent hose idea in that thread. I decided that I didn't really like the swing top idea and went with what I was originally thinking.

I've been working on my build for 2 weeks and was holding off posting until I have a nice series of pictures for a proper build thread. Right now I am working on staining some wood to surround 2 sides of the freezer and collecting parts for my tap towers. On a side note, if anyone has advice or input for black pipe tap towers I started a thread in the DIY section where I listed several questions I have been wondering about.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum/threads/need-black-pipe-tap-tower-advice.673720/

Here are a couple of sneak peak pics from two weekends ago.

20191227_155055.jpg
20191228_151059.jpg
20191228_151128.jpg

That looks really nice! It reminds me of a similar build I saw in the "show your keezer" thread, except that one had the tower on the extended part so there was full lid access. It seemed a little wonky to me with the "shelf" sticking out, but yours looks really nice.

That looks really nice! It reminds me of a similar build I saw in the "show your keezer" thread, except that one had the tower on the extended part so there was full lid access. It seemed a little wonky to me with the "shelf" sticking out, but yours looks really nice.

Thanks. My design is working out really well. There are 2 things I would change for next time.

1. I mounted my gas manifolds on the front on the inside so that plus the loss of width needed for mounting the towers makes it tricky getting kegs in & out when the keezer is full. Simple solution is to move the manifold placement but I also might consider adding a build out behind the keezer somehow to take full advantage of a bigger keezer opening.

2. The finished lid is pretty heavy and can be a bit of a pain to take on and off if I am doing alot of keg moving or tap cleaning. I would try to figure out some sort of hinge design so I could just flip it down out of the way.

Thanks. My design is working out really well. There are 2 things I would change for next time.

1. I mounted my gas manifolds on the front on the inside so that plus the loss of width needed for mounting the towers makes it tricky getting kegs in & out when the keezer is full. Simple solution is to move the manifold placement but I also might consider adding a build out behind the keezer somehow to take full advantage of a bigger keezer opening.
Thats something the other build did, they had the tower/coffin on the build-out for a larger opening but like I said, it looked funny to me.

Back